function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Mark VermaatMark Vermaat 

Relating Cases to Opportunities

I have been tasked with trying to figure out how to link a case (Created via API) to an already existing Opportunity.

I tried via web-to-case, creates new case but does not fill out lookup field. (Found that this will not auto populate Lookup Field) so had to ditch that attempt.

Now I have the Opportunity ID being saved in a hidden field on the case, then I tried a WFR. Which again is not going to do this for me, so I am stuck with writting a trigger (I think this is my only option) where it will take the ID from the Hidden Field and push it into the lookup (Lookups work on ID's if I am not mistaken)

My issue is, I am not super good at the whole trigger writing as I am just getting into more of the dev side now.

I have this as my trigger so far and was wondering if someone would be able to suggest or point out what I am doing wrong.

trigger OpportunityLookupSet on Case (before insert) {
    for(Case c : Trigger.new){
        if(c.Origin = 'ICE Cloud'&& c.MVDev__Opportunity_ID__c != null)}{
           c.MVDev__Opportunity_ID__c = c.MVDev__Linked_Opportunity__c;
        }
    }

}

WIth this one I get an error saying "AND operator can only be applied to Boolean expressions"  However I need to make sure that the origin is ICE Cloud (Hardcoded) and the Opportunity_ID__c is not blank.

Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Mark
Sanjay.GeorgeSanjay.George
Mark,

You have written the write code. Just a simple syntax issue. When comparing boolean variables use == symbol to compare.

trigger OpportunityLookupSet on Case (before insert) {
    for(Case c : Trigger.new){
        if(c.Origin == 'ICE Cloud'&& c.MVDev__Opportunity_ID__c != null)}{
           c.MVDev__Opportunity_ID__c = c.MVDev__Linked_Opportunity__c;
        }
    }

}