function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Alejandro VillamarinAlejandro Villamarin 

Integrate Salesforce CRM into an external app

Hi there,

I'm a complete newbie in the Salesforce universe, so I beg forgiveness if what I'm asking sounds dull. 

I'm currently working on a Django app that serves a mobile app (the front-end mostly) that also has a web version. Some of the functionalities icnclude a lot of typical CRM functionality: resource management, agenda, staff management, scheduling, etc. Thus, instead of going for specific Django available CRM out there, I'm considering using Salesforce CRM....if that's even possible I mean. I know some people has do something similar in the past (Hotel Ninjas), although I couldn't find any info on that topic

That said, the Salesforce is just too big for me to grasp this....I know there is the CRM itself, but also this Salesforce Platform1....which one should I be using if I wanted to integrate some of the CRM functionalities in my Django app? 

Maybe what I'm saying makes no sense at all....please share your toughts!
Best Answer chosen by Alejandro Villamarin
Jim RaeJim Rae
It really depends on what CRM functions you want to integrate, and how you expect them to integrate. The Platform is better for extending functionality and for developing non-CRM type applications.  If you need True CRM functions (account and contact management, opportunity management), then you would need the actual CRM. You can still have integrations via a variety of webservice and other integration techniques.

All Answers

Jim RaeJim Rae
It really depends on what CRM functions you want to integrate, and how you expect them to integrate. The Platform is better for extending functionality and for developing non-CRM type applications.  If you need True CRM functions (account and contact management, opportunity management), then you would need the actual CRM. You can still have integrations via a variety of webservice and other integration techniques.
This was selected as the best answer
Hello Jim,

Thanks for answering. I'm looking for pure CRM functionalities, so I guess I should be using the CRM then. Can you point me into any specific documentation abou this integration or use cases similar to these? I'm currently checking the Salesforce Platform Basics Trailhead stuff, but that seems related with the Salesforce Platform 1 only. 

Thanks,
Alejandro
Jim RaeJim Rae
I would create a developer org to play with, since they are free: https://developer.salesforce.com/signup And look in the help and training. There are a number of crm specific training modules there.
Will do, thanks a bunch!