function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Kimberly FengKimberly Feng 

Change permissions/remove "new notes" button for "Notes & Attachments" Related List

On all standard accounts, contacts, leads, etc. there is a related list called "Notes & Attachments." I have been trying to figure out how to edit the list properties, but I can't find it anywhere within setup. 

I need to remove the "new note" button for all users except system admins. I still want to allow everyone to attach a file, just not have the ability to add a "note" since we use our system different to track activities and notes associated with any record.

The related list is not editable when I go into page layout - I can only delete the list from the layout altogether, which is not what I want to do. 

Can anyone please guide me as to how to find how to edit this list? I know it's a standard feature, but I need to control it.

Thanks!
debasis jena 35debasis jena 35
Hi Feng,

There is no standard feature or functionlity to remove new note button from the related list. the Notes and attachement related list are not customizable in salesforce.

for your requiremnt you may go for two other approach.
1. Notes and attachemnt on Visualforce
    create a visualforce page for notes and attachmnet and keep that page as  a section in the pagelayout.
<apex:page standardController="Custom_Object__c" tabStyle="Custom_Object__c">
<head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;charset=UTF-8" />   
    <style>
        .activeTab {background-color: #236FBD; color:white; background-image:none}
        .inactiveTab {background-color: lightgrey; color:black; background-image:none}
        .br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}
    </style>
 </head> 
    <apex:tabPanel switchType="client" selectedTab="tabNotes" id="CustomObjectTabPanel" tabClass="activeTab" inactivetabClass="inactiveTab">          
        <apex:tab label="Notes" name="Notes" id="tabNotes">           
            <apex:form >
                <apex:pageBlock title="Notes">
                    <apex:pageBlockTable value="{!Custom_Object__c.Notes}" var="note">
                        <apex:column value="{!note.createddate}" width="120px"/>
                        <apex:column value="{!note.createdbyid}" width="120px"/>
                        <apex:column value="{!note.body}" />
                    </apex:pageBlockTable>
                    <apex:pageBlockButtons location="top">
                        <apex:commandbutton value="Add Comment" action="/002/e?parent_id={!LEFT(Custom_Object__c.Id,15)}&retURL=%2Fapex%2FCustom_Object%3Fid%3D{!Custom_Object__c.Id}"/>
                    </apex:pageBlockButtons>
                </apex:pageBlock>
            </apex:form>
        </apex:tab>
    </apex:tabPanel>
</apex:page>

2. display New note button but write a trigger in object NoteAndAttachment to throw validation error when trying to add a new note.

debasis jena 35debasis jena 35
if my answer helps to solve your problem please mark it as best answer so that anyone can refer it easily.