function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Toni  MillerToni Miller 

Codes

I need help Please. I can not seem to fully understand the coding it dose not seem to matter if Im in Java, C# or .Net apex or fisual force. I can not figure a way to be fluent and understand some of the codes. I have a hard time remembering what does what. I understand the code. I am not able to just write with out having to look up the code I need to do what ever I am trying to do. If there is any pointers on this please share with me as this holds me up when I am working on something. I would like to be more effecient.
Best Answer chosen by Toni Miller
William TranWilliam Tran
Have you taken any coding classes? or Considering tutoring?  Coding is not something you pick up overnight.    I see that you are taking trailhead, that's a good start.  Note: trailhead assumes you have some coding background but at the same time it's not super difficult neither.   In reality, you don't have to remember everything but it helps to save time.  My advice is if you want to code, then you need more practice coding.  Choose what you want to specialize in, is it VF, Apex, javascript, etc.   It would help tremendously if you have a tutor, no point spending hours on a problem.  As for as coding pointer, there are hundreds of possible pointers like comment your code, go slowly and compile/test often as you go,  under the tools that you are using, etc.  Last but not least, once you know your area of expertise, start collection sample code as your building block so you can reuse instead of starting from scratch all the time.

Good luck
Thx

All Answers

William TranWilliam Tran
Have you taken any coding classes? or Considering tutoring?  Coding is not something you pick up overnight.    I see that you are taking trailhead, that's a good start.  Note: trailhead assumes you have some coding background but at the same time it's not super difficult neither.   In reality, you don't have to remember everything but it helps to save time.  My advice is if you want to code, then you need more practice coding.  Choose what you want to specialize in, is it VF, Apex, javascript, etc.   It would help tremendously if you have a tutor, no point spending hours on a problem.  As for as coding pointer, there are hundreds of possible pointers like comment your code, go slowly and compile/test often as you go,  under the tools that you are using, etc.  Last but not least, once you know your area of expertise, start collection sample code as your building block so you can reuse instead of starting from scratch all the time.

Good luck
Thx
This was selected as the best answer
Toni  MillerToni Miller
Hi William, 
Thank you for responding. I have an AS in Computer Science however, I feel as though I could use more hands on. I will not start my BS till the end of October.
I like the C# and .Net alot but I still struggle with where each ; or () go and sometimes the correct wording to make it do what I would like it to do. I feel like if there was something that was a little more hands on in any of the codes even apex I would be able to get a better grip. That is mainly why I like the salesforce. I can do things in it and learn without anyone wanting or me trying to find something to think to do within code. But still trying to grasp the coding is still a little hard for me to totally understand as to why some of the ; { are needed. 
I do get a string, integer, booleen, still dont understand array completely I do know what it does though but not the concept. Any pointing in a direction I would greatly appreciate it.  I will start collecting sample code tomorrow as I am learning more salesforce.

I had this same problem when I first stated Mechanical Engineering 22 years ago. However, once  I finally got it I became pretty good at it. Now I like computers better.

Thank you
Toni Miller
William TranWilliam Tran
Toni,

If you have not looked at this site already, this is a good site: http://www.sfdc99.com/beginner-tutorials/

Also, as you know already this forum and salesforce stackexchange are 2 great resources for helping you in your journey.

Thx
Toni  MillerToni Miller
Thanks William