function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Jim MacAulay 8Jim MacAulay 8 

Does Trailhead align to certification?

I am planning to take the 201, 211 and 401 certifications - does anyone know do the Trailhead modules align to these and if so which modules do you need to do for each certification?

Thanks all
Jim
Best Answer chosen by Jim MacAulay 8
Peter_sfdcPeter_sfdc
Hi Jim,

Trailhead is a good tool for prep for some of the Certification exams, but it is not designed purely as a certification prep tool. 

It will most definitely help, but I would not limit myself to using Trailhead. 

The approach I would suggest if you are new is: 

1. Read certification study guide. 
2. Work through Trailhead modules
3. Review certification study guide and identify gaps
4. Seek other resources to fill knowledge gaps

I would suggest that there is little in Trailhead that is not part of certification. The chances are you will need to study more once you do Trailhead. 

Hope that helps. 

All Answers

Abdul RazzaqAbdul Razzaq
201 and 211 are purely choose correct answers.
Elaborate, what do you mean by Trailhead modules?
Hi @Abdul Razzaq,

Sorry if I was unclear, I'll try to explain.
I know the 201, 211 & 401 exams are all multiple choice but I need to study for them and I'm not sure of exaclty what areas or scope each one covers. I was hoping that certain modules or trails would cover the areas and content for the particular exams.

So for example if I want to prepare for the 401 developer exam I should do the 'Developer Beginner' trail and modules 34,37,39 from the 'Intermediate developer'....or whatever. I want to cover all the material for the exam and to avoid material that isn't required for the exam.

Jim
Abdul RazzaqAbdul Razzaq
So, basically you are looking for syllabus.
If so, when registering you will find study guide link which gives you clear understanding of what areas the exam covers.
If dissappointed by answer, apologies.
Thank you, 
Razzaq.
hhhmmm.....

It's just that since Trailhead is a new tutorial based learning tool I was hoping that it was designed such that by following the correct paths you would ready yourself for particular exams - my question was really 'is this assumption correct?'. 

Anyway, I can work it out by looking at the syllabus of each exam and cross reference with the content in each Trailhead module - was just hoping someone had already done this :-)
Peter_sfdcPeter_sfdc
Hi Jim,

Trailhead is a good tool for prep for some of the Certification exams, but it is not designed purely as a certification prep tool. 

It will most definitely help, but I would not limit myself to using Trailhead. 

The approach I would suggest if you are new is: 

1. Read certification study guide. 
2. Work through Trailhead modules
3. Review certification study guide and identify gaps
4. Seek other resources to fill knowledge gaps

I would suggest that there is little in Trailhead that is not part of certification. The chances are you will need to study more once you do Trailhead. 

Hope that helps. 
This was selected as the best answer
Greg PoirierGreg Poirier
Jim - did you ever find the response to this. I am interested in taking the Platform Developer I exam and also investing some time exploring Trailhead. Ideally they would be aligned - is the Developer Beginner Trailhead a good overlay for the cert exam?
Hi Greg, There is a big overlap in the material covered but they do not perfectly align. In other words doing Trailhead alone is not enough to pass the cert, this is a shame as Trailhead is an excellent resource and a lot more fun that the other material. Anyway, it turns out the main reason they are not aligned is because the exams are produced by different people from those who do Trailhead. Everyone seems to agree Trailhead is the way forward and ultimately the certs will be aligned though when is anyones guess - one thing for sure is that it will be too late for us :-) Jim
Greg PoirierGreg Poirier
Thanks Jim. I appreciate the prompt response. Would the Developer Beginner Trailhead be the most applicable or would the Intermediate (or even Lighting) Trails be best (not sure if you'd know - but I am curious)
Aditya KamdiAditya Kamdi

Jim thanks for bringing this up. I had checked this forum a while ago and I had found it very useful. I would like to add my insights as a recent beginner who is also interested in the certifications.

I earlier started self study through books and I could vouch for the fact there can't be a better tool for starters than trailhead. In addition to the fact that all the material is always updated, unlike most other sources, there is no other medium through which you could test yourself as well as the "Challenges" section  at the end of each unit. For ADM 201 the Admin trail for beginners is a very good place to start but definitely go through the study guide Salesforce has provided . For easy reference here is the link to the study guide http://certification.salesforce.com/SG_CertifiedAdministrator.pdf?v=24 . 

There was another blog that I found particularly useful (http://www.merivisblog.com/how-to-pass-the-salesforce-admin-exam-using-trailhead/) It just elaborates well on most of the points well on most of the points made earlier

Cheers and Thanks again 
Jim

Michal KaparMichal Kapar
The video from DreamForce about this Topic. Use Trailhead to Become Salesforce Certified! - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_xOXdvuf5c
Stephen McClureStephen McClure
Accourding to the intro section this book will cover everything we need to know for the exam.  I've been using as a subbpliment to Trailhead etc and have found it excellent.

https://www.amazon.com/Salesforce-CRM-Definitive-Handbook-Second/dp/1782170529

Stephanie VadnaisStephanie Vadnais
Stephen McClure, how did the book work out for you?