function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Brian ZardusBrian Zardus 

Formula field that is poplulated

I am tyring to figure out the easiest way to have a formula field pull from a picklist (state_c) and autopopulate with a region. I know I can use the CASE and ISPICKVAL formulas to accomplish this, however unless I am mistaken they do not take into account arrays of texts.  So do I have to input each picklist value and its corresponing value?

For instance, if this field wasn't a picklist I could use Contains formula and have something to effect of "CA:CO:WA", "West". Is there a way around having to write "West" for each of those 3 picklist values?
KRayKRay
Hey Brian, You could use process builder to update a read only text field.  Other than process builder and apex, you're stuck writing each state out, line by line, with the CASE Function. Sorry
Jayson Faderanga 14Jayson Faderanga 14
The answer on your questions is Yes, you will be needing to define the picklist value and its corresponding value to return.

when working with formulas, picklist fields can only be used in these functions.
ISPICKVAL
CASE
TEXT

Hope this helps. You may also check this article for more information
https://help.salesforce.com/apex/HTViewHelpDoc?id=tips_for_using_picklist_formula_fields.htm&language=en_US

Hope this helps.