function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Darryl HanyDarryl Hany 

Integrating External Data trailhead problem

I am trying to complete the challenge of the Integrating External Data challenge, and am hitting an 'interesting' problem.  I believe I've gone through all the steps correctly, but an getting the error below:

The 'Phone__x' external object is not correctly setup with an indirect relationship to the User standard object.

When I go do External Objects/phones/edit UUID I can see the UUID field definition.  I have numerous times clicked on Change FIeld Type/Indirect Lookup Relationship/Related to User/Target Field Phone_UUID__c/Next/Save.  Each time I go though that when I get to the Target Field value the value is set to --None--.  It's acting like it forgets that I gave it a value.  That would explain the error message

Any ideas as to how I can get around this?

Darryl HanyDarryl Hany
OK.  Previous to this problem I had added a value to the Phone UUID field on a user record.  Then went through the loops trying to fix my error message.  I just now added a Phone UUID value to a second user record.  The problem went away.

I really dislike magic.

Olivier WienerOlivier Wiener
Well, actually they should reverse the order of the two last paragraphs of the challenge... it would work seamlessly that way, ;-)
saran kumar 9saran kumar 9
please let me know how to add this .......please i am stuck at this point

Update any existing User record in your Developer Edition instance to have a value of '0000123442' for the 'Phone_UUID__c' field.
Christopher SharkeyChristopher Sharkey
Saran, I was having the same issue just today. You'll need to go to Setup | Manage Users | Users. Click "Edit" for just one of your users. Put "0000123442" in the Phone UUID field under the Additional Information heading. Click Save. You only need to do this once. Then, as long as you have the rest of the Challenge finished, it should let you complete it.
Michael Davis 15Michael Davis 15
I think this has to do with the Profile on the user ID that you add the number too.  I tried to update a chatter free user and the ID failed.  I updated my system admin user ID and revalidated the challenge.  It succeeded after I did that.
I faced the same issue. Looks like the data at external source is changed. Try adding MDAwMDEyMzQ0Mg==  as  Phone_UUID__c value on User record. I was able to pass it then.
Anand VardhanAnand Vardhan
In the Developer Org Please add the value on Phone_UUID__c field on a  User whose License is of Salesforce Type.The error should not come
Ricardo Vicente TorrentsRicardo Vicente Torrents
Regarding the last step about to ""Update any existing User record in your Developer Edition instance to have a value of '0000123442' for the 'Phone_UUID__c' field"  is a bit tricky as the field is set as Unique. Only one user record can be updated with the specified value.
Christopher SharkeyChristopher Sharkey
Yes, you would be correct. Thankfully, the challenge asks you to only update one user record with that value. 
It's been years since I've looked at this Trailhead module, so take my response with a grain of salt.
Ajay K DubediAjay K Dubedi
Hi Darryl,
 Take a look here step by step guide to complete this module here:

I hope you find the above solution helpful. If it does, please mark as Best Answer to help others too.
Ajay Dubedi
Laura Lee 2Laura Lee 2
All you guys are wonderful. Not sure what I would do without these help pages!


Given Brief SOlution