function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Melissa GMelissa G 

Form to replace Web-to-Lead

Good afternoon! I am new here and have little development experience. I am just looking for some direction on how to approach this issue.

I have a client that has purchased a marketing list. The list has 3100 leads and each lead has a unique code associated to it. We will be loading the list (and code) to Salesforce for the client. Once this is loaded, he is looking to do the following:

- The lead (person) is sent a mailing with the unique code (this is done automatically through another app). The lead would be directed to go to a web form to enter the code on the mailing. Once the code is entered /  submitted the lead information (name, address, etc.) from Salesforce will populate the form.

- Once the form is populated the lead will be able to either confirm (submit) the form or edit it and then submit it.

- If the lead does not have his or her code they should be able to enter their information manually

- Once submitted Salesforce will create a task for the lead owner to follow up with the lead.

- Once the lead submits the information on the webform the lead in Salesforce should flip to an prospect

I posted this question to the success community and it sounds like Web-to-lead will not fit all of the requirements for this request. Can someone point me in the correct direction to start on this project? Since web-to-lead isn't an option I was pretty sure this would be done with visualforce / apex. However, there is a whole lot of information covered in a general visualforce / apex book. What should I start with in order to create this?

Thanks so much!
Best Answer chosen by Melissa G
3 Creeks3 Creeks
You are right it is probably going to need to be done through coding some Apex and a Visualforce page.  The Visualforce page would be exposed externally via Salesforce Sites and this is where the lead can either put in their code or input their information.    You are also right that there is a lot of documentation so it is hard to point you to all of the areas that you would need to get familiar with.  Bascially you need to read up on configuring Salesforce Sites, creating Visualforce forms and probably custom styling (using CSS, since you probably do not want your external page to look like s standard Salesforce page), learn about SOQL (Salesforce's SQL-like query language), and learn about Apex and Apex Controllers and controller extensions.

All Answers

3 Creeks3 Creeks
You are right it is probably going to need to be done through coding some Apex and a Visualforce page.  The Visualforce page would be exposed externally via Salesforce Sites and this is where the lead can either put in their code or input their information.    You are also right that there is a lot of documentation so it is hard to point you to all of the areas that you would need to get familiar with.  Bascially you need to read up on configuring Salesforce Sites, creating Visualforce forms and probably custom styling (using CSS, since you probably do not want your external page to look like s standard Salesforce page), learn about SOQL (Salesforce's SQL-like query language), and learn about Apex and Apex Controllers and controller extensions.
This was selected as the best answer
Melissa GMelissa G
Thank you very much for the information. :)