function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Daniele RaucciDaniele Raucci 

How can i let people add custom values to a dependant field?

Hello,
I have a controlling picklist and a dependant picklist on tasks (task type and hours required depending on the task).
I set the required hours to certain specified values, but i would like the users to also be able to inser the value manually if they so desire: basically keeping the picklist values but without enforcing them: giving the user the option to set their own value.
Is there a way to do it?
Joachim RoeseckeJoachim Roesecke
Hello

Maybe this is a way for you (not exactly what you want, but I give it a try):

1. Create another field of type Number where the user can manually enter a value.
2. Create a validation rule to only allow entering a value in the new field in case the controlling picklist value is filled.
3. Create a validation rule enforcing that only one of the two fields is filled.
4. Create yet another field (Formula, Number) which takes the value from the field holding a value to have the result in one place (optional).

Completely "unbounded" picklists, i.e. picklists which allow entering values via the GUI which are not configured on field level are not possible at this point in time - at least to my knowledge. 

Regards, Joachim