function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Rachel BarrishRachel Barrish 

Dataloader Errors

I'm loading 25 records from an excel file to the Opportunity object. There are fields with currency and fields with formulas for the fields with currency as well as fields with percentages. I seem to be having errors (for every single record) and most of them are because of the currency/formula/percentage fields. When inserting currency, is dataloader picky? Like there shouldn't be a dollar sign or commas, etc.?

I posted an image of an example of issues.

User-added image

Best Answer chosen by Rachel Barrish
3 Creeks3 Creeks
Basically your file that you are loading needs to contain plain numbers with no symbols.  When they get into Salesforce, they will reflect the proper formatting as long as they are being loaded into the proper type of Salesforce field.   For instance, if the file you are loading has a percentage of 0.5 and that number is loaded into a percentage field in Salesforce, it will display in Salesforce as 50%.

The easiest way to get the numbers in the excel sheet into plain numbers is to save it as a .csv file and use the .csv file to load into Salesforce.

All Answers

3 Creeks3 Creeks
Basically your file that you are loading needs to contain plain numbers with no symbols.  When they get into Salesforce, they will reflect the proper formatting as long as they are being loaded into the proper type of Salesforce field.   For instance, if the file you are loading has a percentage of 0.5 and that number is loaded into a percentage field in Salesforce, it will display in Salesforce as 50%.

The easiest way to get the numbers in the excel sheet into plain numbers is to save it as a .csv file and use the .csv file to load into Salesforce.
This was selected as the best answer
Ah. That worked. Thank you!
3 Creeks3 Creeks
Great!.   Can you mark this issue as solved?  Thanks!

Actually, I didn't want to mark solved until I uploaded successfully.

The errors for the currency fields went away, but now I am having all error messages saying "id value of incorrect type" for Accounts that already exist in our database. I performed vlookup in Excel to match the correct Account ID with the Account being imported. Its a .csv file. The vlookup formula is correct otherwise the id values wouldnt have populated and I checked them for accuracy. I also made sure to copy and repaste the id values as values (not a formula anymore). Really not sure what I'm doing wrong at this point. Any ideas?

Here is an image of the error messages now:
User-added image
*note: a few of them don't already exist in the database with no id, so that's why they say #N/A

3 Creeks3 Creeks
A Salesforce account Id will be a 18 digit alphanumeric string that would start with the numbers 001 that was automatically created by the Salesforce system when the account record was first saved.  If you have a custom object, it will also have a 18 digit alphanumeric number for an Id but would start with some other 3 digit alphanumeric combination.   

It looks like you are trying to load account and funder names into Id fields.
The Funder field in the Opportunity is a lookup field for Account, so technically aren't I importing an Account? Funder is not a custom object on it's own, simply a field.

An example of the 19 digit id for two of the Accounts below:

FunderAccount                                             ID
Defense Threat Reduction Agency (DTRA) 001i000000urio7
Agricultural Research Service                      001i000001KULkM

I really feel like it should be importing the Account id's just fine after the vlookup unless I did something wrong there...

3 Creeks3 Creeks
It is possible that you have the correct ID in your csv file, but the field mapping that you created in Data Loader is not correct.  Can you check if the ID field in your csv file is mapped to the Account Id field?
Hre are screenshots of the mapping

Account ID is mapped to Account ID
User-added image
Funder is mapped to Funder
User-added image

Funder (look up field for Account)                                               Account ID
User-added image
I got it. I made the Funder column the Account ID's. So tecnically Account ID is in there twice.
3 Creeks3 Creeks
You cannot have the "#N/A" in the Account ID column in your CSV.  If you do not have an ID for that record, the account Id just needs to be blank. For the errors about Funder, I cannot tell.  Can you post what is contained in the Funder column of your csv file?  You said Funder__c is a Account Id field, right?
Thanks for your note about #N/A needing to be deleted, I figure it out the hard way by getting yet another error for it when trying the import for about the 100th time. 

Alongside the Funder lookup field to Account, we also have a field under Opportunity called Account Name (also a lookup to Account). The columns ended up looking like this:
Funder (don't map)                                                                           Funder                   Account ID
Embassy of the United States of America                                      001i000001KUM7S 001i000001KUM7S
U.S. Department of Defense                                                          001i000000urio6      001i000000urio6
U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID)                    001i000000urio3      001i000000urio3
CH2M HILL                                                                                    001i000001KULyJ   001i000001KULyJ
U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID)                    001i000000urio3      001i000000urio3

The column "Funder (don't map) was used as a reference to the actual name of the Account being imported, but the column "Funder" for the Funder lookup field I guess required the actual ID. Same with the Account Name lookup field, that too required the Account ID.

This is probably what you were trying to tell me, but I wasnt understanding clearly.
3 Creeks3 Creeks
Yea...it can get frustrating.   Just keep in mind that all lookups are Ids of the object that it is a look up on.   The Id is converted to a Name (typically) automatically by Salesforce when looking at the screen.   Glad you got it all worked out!