function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Sangeetha TSangeetha T 

Error: Lead field length of 3,900 is greater than this field's length of 255

Hi 
I want to map a field between lead and opportunity for converted lead. But I get the following error 
Error: Lead field length of 3,900 is greater than this field's length of 255
I cant change the data type of the of the opportunity field since it is associated with one workflow and formula field
then what are the other ways to resolve it ??

Please Note : I have migrated these changesets from sandbox to production(in dev it worked fine but production creates a problem)

Critical issue 
@Karanraj@Karanraj
You have to remove that field from the  workflow rule and forumal field and then change the data type of the field.
You have mapped long text area field with the text field that is the reason you are getting this error. Either you have update the lead conversation field mapping or change type. Please see the below notes if you are changing the field type - https://help.salesforce.com/apex/HTViewHelpDoc?id=notes_on_changing_custom_field_types.htm&language=en (https://help.salesforce.com/apex/HTViewHelpDoc?id=notes_on_changing_custom_field_types.htm&language=en)
LakshmanLakshman
From the error it looks like you are mapping a formula field (Lead) to a text field (Opportunity). The only thing you can do is to change the text field to long textarea to fix this issue. 
Sangeetha TSangeetha T
But im using this field in formula and workflow , now i cant apply the same feild for the same if it is changed to long text ..stuck up here 
LakshmanLakshman
You can delete the workflow, change the field and recreate the workflow rule in off business hours. Thats the only way to do it.
John Romano Jr.John Romano Jr.
I found that by Creating a workflow rule on the Lead object to return a value on a newly created text field is the best way to go about this. This way you can keep all of your workflows in place. 

1) Create a text field the same legnth as the Opportunity/Contact/Account Field you are attempting to map. (We'll call it ProdFormulaBug) 
2) Create a workflow rule to update any time a lead is created or edited
    a) Create the criteria so that the formula field does not equal null (leave the value blank) 
    b) Create a field update to populate your ProdFormulaBug field with the value inside your formula field
3) Map your new ProdFormulaBug field to the desired field on the Opp/Contact/Acct that wouldn't allow for mapping prior.