function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Matty BMatty B 

Workflow Limits?

Most of the limits I am aware of are around number of workflows on an object, number of field updates per workflow, etc.

if I have a workflow rule fire 3-4 updates every time the record is edited (no time based workflows) and an integration job updates 1M rows of data will Salesforce have any issue with processing 3-4 million field updates as a result? Woukd I expect any time delays?
William TranWilliam Tran
I would say yes, you would have time delays.  

How bad could it be? You would need to test to find out.

1 million rows are a lot of records and could take hours so it behooves you to properly architect and test this out before rolling to PROD.

As a common practice, if your question is answered, please choose 1 best answer. 
But you can give every answer a thumb up if that answer is helpful to you. 

Thanks
Matty BMatty B
Not having a full copy sandbox in our org limits me from being able to test this in a full scale for that amount of records.

The way I see it is I would hit DML limits of 10,000 updates via Apex and (for obvious reasons) leverage config vs code. Scheduled Apex allows for more but not on that scale. 

I don't care so much about the time it may take (within reason of course so let's say 6-8 hours processing time is ok) as long as I don't hit a governor limits and workflow/field updates are suspended for a period of time as a result. Any daily limits known for this?