function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Mahatma VijayMahatma Vijay 

Need some help tracking a field

Hi, 

So we have an object 'Asset' with one of fields as 'Software version number'. We want to track the software version number in Case Object and created a formula field so whenever a client generates a case the software version number will auto-populate the field. So here's the issue- When the software version changes (In asset object) as the client upgrades their software, this version number we have on Case object is also updating. Is there a way to store the old software version in the Case object even after the information in Asset object's 'software version number' field changes? Can someone help me with this? I'm sorry it's a little confusing. Can I do it using workflows and/or process builder or should I go for hardcoding?
Best Answer chosen by Mahatma Vijay
DebasisDebasis
Yes, Workflow Rule for sure. Here you go:

1. Creating a Text Field: Create a TEXT(255) field on the Object and name it say: Old Picklist Value

2. Setting up the Workflow Rule + Field Update
Go to Setup | Create | Workflows & Approvals | Workflow Rules
New Rule
Select the Object
Click Next
Evaluation Criteria: created and every time it's edited
Rule Criteria: formula evaluates tor true
Fomula: 
AND( ISCHANGED(Picklist_Field__c), NOT(ISBLANK(TEXT(Picklist_Field__c))) )
Click Save & Next
From under Immediate Workflow Actions, click Add Workflow Action to select Field Update
Select the Field to Update: Old Picklist Value
Select Use a Formula to Set the New Value
Formula:
TEXT(PRIORVALUE(Picklist_Field__c))
Click Save
Click Done
Click Activate

All Answers

DebasisDebasis
Yes, Workflow Rule for sure. Here you go:

1. Creating a Text Field: Create a TEXT(255) field on the Object and name it say: Old Picklist Value

2. Setting up the Workflow Rule + Field Update
Go to Setup | Create | Workflows & Approvals | Workflow Rules
New Rule
Select the Object
Click Next
Evaluation Criteria: created and every time it's edited
Rule Criteria: formula evaluates tor true
Fomula: 
AND( ISCHANGED(Picklist_Field__c), NOT(ISBLANK(TEXT(Picklist_Field__c))) )
Click Save & Next
From under Immediate Workflow Actions, click Add Workflow Action to select Field Update
Select the Field to Update: Old Picklist Value
Select Use a Formula to Set the New Value
Formula:
TEXT(PRIORVALUE(Picklist_Field__c))
Click Save
Click Done
Click Activate
This was selected as the best answer
Hi Debasis,

I really appreciate your response for my question. In this scenario I created a field on 'Case' object as 'Old Software Version' with Text(255) data type. I tried to create a workflow rule on 'Case' object using the formula you have provided but since the 'Software Version Number' field is a formula data type it didn't allow me to use 'TEXT()' in the formula. Should I simply delte the 'TEXT()' part of the formula and continue?
DebasisDebasis
Hi Revanth,
yes, you are absolutely correct.. The sample I have given based on apicklist field so I have changed it to text using Text() function. As you have already a text field, so please go ahead and remove text() function from formula. please let me know if it helps you.

thanks,
Debasis
Hi Debasis,
Thank you so much. It worked and really helped a newbie like me :)