function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Priyadarshi NayakPriyadarshi Nayak 

External Id per Object

Hi
What is the maximum external id can object use? Some place I found it 3 & other places 7. 

Any pointer to correct value?

Thanks In Advance
Priya
Best Answer chosen by Priyadarshi Nayak
ManojjenaManojjena
HI Priyadarshi,

If you want to be sure about then you can test in your developper org .You can test for both custom an dstandard object .in any object if you have
7 text,email or number field then edit and check the check box to enable as external id .After 7 once you will try to enabale the next one you will get the error like LIMIT exceeds for external Id .

External Id LIMIT  is 7(Seven) for sure .However one more limit is related to this as external id is an indexed field .You can create maximum of 13 indexed field in one object .so if you have other indexed field ,suppose 7( seven) ,in that case system wil allow you to create only 6 externa id .
I think you are clear now .
You can create fields and test and close this thread to help others who are facingsame issue .
You can also check the knowedge article related to this .

https://help.salesforce.com/apex/HTViewSolution?id=000005081

Thanks
Manoj

All Answers

pconpcon
The size of an external Id doesn't matter as long as the field type you are using supports being an external Id.  For example, the Text field has a max of 255 characters so that would be as large as you can make it.  Typically an external Id would be used to reference something in your external system so you would want to make sure that the size / type of it fits the size / type of your field in Salesforce.
ManojjenaManojjena
Hi Priyadarshi,
External id limit was 3(Three) per object before now it is increaed to 7(Seven) per object .You can make 3 different types of field as external Id .
1.Email
2.Text
3.Number

Let me know if it helps !!
Thanks
Manoj

Priyadarshi NayakPriyadarshi Nayak
Thanks pcon and manoj! Since I am preparing for Developer Certification, not sure which one to use for answer 3 or 7? Anyway thank you very much!
ManojjenaManojjena
HI Priyadarshi,

If you want to be sure about then you can test in your developper org .You can test for both custom an dstandard object .in any object if you have
7 text,email or number field then edit and check the check box to enable as external id .After 7 once you will try to enabale the next one you will get the error like LIMIT exceeds for external Id .

External Id LIMIT  is 7(Seven) for sure .However one more limit is related to this as external id is an indexed field .You can create maximum of 13 indexed field in one object .so if you have other indexed field ,suppose 7( seven) ,in that case system wil allow you to create only 6 externa id .
I think you are clear now .
You can create fields and test and close this thread to help others who are facingsame issue .
You can also check the knowedge article related to this .

https://help.salesforce.com/apex/HTViewSolution?id=000005081

Thanks
Manoj
This was selected as the best answer