function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Andrea MessineoAndrea Messineo 

Using numbers, currency, and percentages in formulas: issue with submission

I submitted my work and I received this error message. The challenge says nothing about adding a field with this name. 

Challenge Not yet complete... here's what's wrong: 
There was an unexpected error in your org which is preventing this assessment check from completing: System.DmlException: Insert failed. First exception on row 0; first error: REQUIRED_FIELD_MISSING, Required fields are missing: [Discount_Percent__c]: [Discount_Percent__c]
Best Answer chosen by Andrea Messineo
pconpcon
Are you using a new Developer Edition org when doing this challenge?  If not, then you may have fields / triggers / validation rules from previous challenges interferring.  I would recommend that you look at the fields on your object and if you can remove the Discount_Percent__c field.  Alternately you can create a new Developer Edition org [1] and redo the work in there.  This will ensure that your previous challenges are not interferring with your current work.  If you follow the directions in the link below you will not loose any of your existing Trailhead badges / points.

[1] https://developer.salesforce.com/forums/?id=906F00000005JciIAE

All Answers

pconpcon
Are you using a new Developer Edition org when doing this challenge?  If not, then you may have fields / triggers / validation rules from previous challenges interferring.  I would recommend that you look at the fields on your object and if you can remove the Discount_Percent__c field.  Alternately you can create a new Developer Edition org [1] and redo the work in there.  This will ensure that your previous challenges are not interferring with your current work.  If you follow the directions in the link below you will not loose any of your existing Trailhead badges / points.

[1] https://developer.salesforce.com/forums/?id=906F00000005JciIAE
This was selected as the best answer
Yes, I'm using a developer org. I deleted the discount percentage field, which I created in October, probably as part of another project. I still got the same message when trying to resubmit. Is starting over really the only option? 
Thanks! I started with a new developer org and I think I'm doing something wrong with the formula. I've made minor tweaks to see if they would work, but here's the basic formula. I can't figure out what's wrong! 

ROUND(3.14159 * radius__c^2 * height__c,0)

This is the error:

The 'Cylinder_Volume__c' formula field did not return the correct value for a input values of Height of 10 and a Radius of 10. The expected value from the Cylinder_Volume__c formula was 3142.
I figured it out. I didn't need the ROUND formula. I wish the errors were more clear!
bhatt bijalbhatt bijal
hi

i have the same problem..
i try to round it but not able to complete yet

The 'Cylinder_Volume__c' formula field did not return the correct value for a input values of Height of 10 and a Radius of 10. The expected value from the Cylinder_Volume__c formula was 3142.
pconpcon
Bhatt, can you please provide the formula you have in place?
Rebecca BellRebecca Bell
Does anyone know what the correct formula is?

I've tried everything and clearly there's something I'm doing wrong! Here's the formula I came up with:

3.14159 * radius__c^2 * height__c

This is the error:

Please help if you can!
pconpcon
I used the following 3.14159 * radius__c * radius__c * height__c You want to also make sure that your formula has 0 decimal points
Rebecca BellRebecca Bell
ank you pcon you solved the issue!
bhatt bijalbhatt bijal
hi pcon,
yeap ,
Thanks , i got completed. 

Andrew EversleyAndrew Eversley
@Pron....I want to thank you for you input on this question, it solved my issue for me.

Just wanted to ask what is the justification of using the 0 decimal places in lieu of the customary 2 decimal places? 
pconpcon
@Andrew the reason I used 0 decimal places was because when I did it with 2 decimal places it failed and the expected number had 0 decimal places.  It probably wouldn't hurt to leave feedback on that module to add clarification on the number of decimal places.
M MillerM Miller
For anyone who is struggling with the discount_percent error message and doesn't want to delete that custom field (or start over in a new org), you can just go into that field's settings and uncheck the box (under general options) that makes it required. A super easy fix!

Uncheck box making this field required
Joseph KyleJoseph Kyle
Thank you @pcon. The "Insert Operator ^" or "Insert Selected Function of EXP" would not work here. I hate to have to find the answers to these modules on line - would much rather figure them out on my own. However, I would have never sorted this out otherwise. Thank you. 
Tiffany VasquezTiffany Vasquez
3.14159*(radius__c ^2)* height__c

Seems it's trying to do radius__c^(2*height__c) if you dont put the () around the exponent, which is silly because order of operations states exponents before multiplication.
Mars Rover 468Mars Rover 468
Not sure why I am getting this error. I remember this caption on the other challenge and not this one so i cant figure why it is not completeing. Any answers guys?
"There was an unexpected error in your org which is preventing this assessment check from completing: System.DmlException: Insert failed. First exception on row 0; first error: FIELD_CUSTOM_VALIDATION_EXCEPTION, 'Hey McFly, unless you are planning to go back in time, please update your close date': []"

Mars Rover 468Mars Rover 468
I figured it out need to deactivate the validation rule and everything worked.
Scott Metcalfe 5Scott Metcalfe 5
thank you @pcorn. your formula worked for me. I had 3.14159 * radius__c^2 *  height__c but it kept giving me an error. any idea why radius__c^2 doesn't work? it's the same thing as radius__c * radius__c
pconpcon
@Scott, I don't know why it doesn't work.  There have been a couple of other people that have tried to use the built in exponent feature and have failed. It may be that the module checker itself is expecting the ^ operator.  Or it may be some weird order of operations in the formula manager.  Maybe doing 3.14159 * (radius__c ^ 2) * height__c would fix it.
Simrandeep Singh 6Simrandeep Singh 6

The correct way to answer the trail is :   3.14159*(radius__c ^2)* height__c

Apply the BODMAS rule i.e brackets should be goven prefernece if we don't put () in front of radius__c then it will consider it as 2*height__c.

Zacharie DuboisZacharie Dubois
For those who started again with a new Trailhead Playground and still experience the same issue. Refresh the page that checks the challenge, select your new org, and then check again.
Karis CrichtonKaris Crichton
mine is saying

"The field 'Cylinder_Volume__c' is a Number"

is it not supposed to be a number??