function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Chris BenenatiChris Benenati 

Eliminate Salutation from Contact Name?

Is there any way to suppress/eliminate the Salutation portion of the Name field in the Contact object? The layout editor seems to only allow ypi tp specify Name as a whole, then when you choose that it imposes the following idiotic layout:
User-added image

This causes no end of confusions.  Its look like First Name is set to "**None** and that it is followed by a cryptic blank field (which many people give up on and just skip over).  Would it at least be possible to correctly label it as "Salutation" and put "the First Name" label before the actual First Name field??

Andrew SchellAndrew Schell

This sounds like a training issue within your org but yes you can go into setup, customize and edit that field to show anything.

If you want to replace saluation with blueberry pancakes, or if you want his name to be "john jacob jinglehimer schmidt" you go into customize and change it.

Click setup>customize>contacts>fields

then scroll down to where it says first name and last name to see the saluations click edit. Then create a new one called Saluation and select it as as default.

I hope this answers your question if it does please select yes and vote me.

The issue is not training but incredibly poor UI design which *requires* special training to work around. And the training has to be repeated every time there is a new user or somebody doesn't use the system for a long time. And it still sometimes results in bad data.

I tried using the standard customization before I posted here.  We don't even want the Salutation, so I eliminated all choices from the picklist and left a single new one:

User-added image

Which is an incredibly stupid clutter of the UI, but at least would accomplish the purpose.  And this is what I see:

User-added image

and when I open the field that is labelled "First Name" I see:

User-added image

So I have discovered that the picklist default works if you use the standard New button -- but not with our Custom New button (we have to pre-populate some fields).