function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
abhinav Krabhinav Kr 

Where does Validation rule execution takes place?

Hi Everyone,

I have a query over the validation rule execution place.
I know that validation rule varifies a record before the record is saved.

For Ex:
I am creating a Custom Object named as "NewYear" with a field "Name Please" and applied a validation rule as " ISBLANK( Name_Please__c ) ".
Now when i will create a record for the "NewYear" object without specifying the "Name Please" field and hits the save button then my request goes to the Salesforce Application Server and verifes if the record request fullfills all the validation rules.
And If all the validation rules are passed then only my request will be sent to the Salesforce Database Server to create the Record for "NewYear" object.

Please comment whether my understanding is correct and do comment if i am wrong and there is some different flow is present. 

Best Answer chosen by abhinav Kr
srlawr uksrlawr uk
System validation is things "on" the fields and organisation, such as "required" fields, and "unique" fields these are evaluated even earlier than user validation (which is basically just Validation Rules)

it's not really like stored procedures, because that (in database speak) is stored on the persistant technology, system validation is still at the logical layer in Salesforce.

All Answers

srlawr uksrlawr uk
Hi!

You can find the full list of the order of execution in a Salesforce transaction here:
https://developer.salesforce.com/docs/atlas.en-us.apexcode.meta/apexcode/apex_triggers_order_of_execution.htm

(bookmark that link, it's the most useful in the world!)

You can see "user-validation" rules are run first at step 4.

This is indeed before step 19 where the data is sent to the database. 

Validation rules are checked before everything like triggers and workflow because - what is the point in performing all that heavy lifting if the user-input is going to be refused anyway?

Hopefully that helps... do give that page a good read!!
abhinav Krabhinav Kr
Hi srlawr,

Thanks for the answer, 
I just bookmarked the link.
I got my answer for what i am looking for.

I have one more query:-

Is the Salesforce runs system validation each time we perform DML operation?
and if you could tell more about what is "Salesforce System Validation", is it like a stored procedure which calls itself when we perform a dml operation?

Thanks,
@bhinav

srlawr uksrlawr uk
System validation is things "on" the fields and organisation, such as "required" fields, and "unique" fields these are evaluated even earlier than user validation (which is basically just Validation Rules)

it's not really like stored procedures, because that (in database speak) is stored on the persistant technology, system validation is still at the logical layer in Salesforce.
This was selected as the best answer
abhinav Krabhinav Kr
Thanks srlaw, for this critical information on the system validation.
Do you have some link to get me more on logical layers in salesforce as i did have any clue how logical layer is implement in salesforce by Salesforce.