function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Mayank.msMayank.ms 

How to update the converted lead ?

Hi All,

I want to update the few fields of converted leads. So can you guys please help me and let me know how can update it. 

Thanks in advance
Best Answer chosen by Mayank.ms
MoggyMoggy
Hi Jack, the best answer above isn't the answer

go into your profile I assume system admin, navigate to App Permissions
scroll all the way down last entry under Sales
View and Edit converted Leads, tick the box and save

only downside is that you see those lead in a standard layout, like the normal lead records
but you don't need a custom profile for that, I bet you could also use a permission set

hope that helps

All Answers

jyothsna reddy 5jyothsna reddy 5
Hi Kamran,

Users may find it necessary to edit lead field values for converted leads but the ability to do so is not directly available either through the User Interface (UI) or the API.
Resolution
Although converted Leads cannot be updated by design, you can export, modify converted leads externally in Excel, delete the existing leads and then re-import them with changes back into Salesforce as new records.

Note: It is a recommended best practice to ensure that you have a up to date or recent full data export file available before starting this process.  See Exporting Backup Data for more details.

1. Enable Create Audit Fields.

2. Perform an export on your converted Leads with Data Loader.  See Exporting Data for more details.

3. Update the necessary values on the CSV export file from step 2

4. Use the Data Loader to delete the converted Leads that you exported in step 2 (map LeadID)

5. Import the converted Lead information with the updated .csv file from step 3

Essentially the above creates "new" Leads with the updated information while keeping all of the record associations and date/times of the original Leads.

Note:  The Lead ConvertedDate field is a date field while CreatedDate field is a date/time field.  You may receive anError: FIELD_INTEGRITY_EXCEPTION: Converted Date: Converted Date(Sat Sep 06 00:00:00 GMT 2014) Before Create Date(Sat Sep 06 17:17:44 GMT 2014) for Leads that were created and converted on the same day. To correct this error set the affected record's CreatedDate value back one day or their ConvertedDate forward a day.  Even if you attempt to change the time attribute of the ConvertedDate field to after that of the CreatedDate field you will still encounter the error because despite whether you may specify a time attribute for a date field, it will always be set to a default value of 00:00:00 GMT or 00:00:000Z on import.

Hope it helps.

Regards,
Jyothsna D

Mayank.msMayank.ms
Hi jyothsna,

Thanks for the reply. I have also tried this process. But in that case when we delete the leads and import it then a new lead is created. So how to connect this new lead with existing account/opportunity/contact. 
Rajendra RathoreRajendra Rathore
Hi Kamran,

In Spring 16 release there is new feature introduced "Update Fields on Converted Leads".

We all know that once a Lead is converted, the data is only accessible in a read-only fashion via the Converted Leads report. But now, users with specified permissions can update fields and  picklist values or Leads already converted."

See here more about that feature: http://docs.releasenotes.salesforce.com/en-us/spring16/release-notes/rn_sales_leads_edit_converted_leads.htm

Thanks,
Rajendra
Mayank.msMayank.ms
Thanks Rajendra for your help. I will try to do this.
Rajendra RathoreRajendra Rathore
Hi Kamran,

If my answer help you then please select my answer as best answer, So it will help others.

Thanks,
Rajendra

Aaron WoosterAaron Wooster
So I went through the steps outlined by Rajendra from the salesforce release notes. I get stuck on step 4:

"4. Add the setting to your profiles. From Setup, enter Profiles in the Quick Find box, then select Profiles. Select the profile and then select Set Audit Fields upon Record Creation."

When I go the profiles section, I find the "Set Audit Fields upon Record Creation" but I can't select the checkbox. I'm running the Professional edition, is this why I can't check the box?
Aneesh B 4Aneesh B 4
Yes, I am also facing the same problem when i try to update the "Set Audit Fields upon Record Creation" filed on the System Administrator profile. But there's another custom profile where it allows me to change it. Why is it disabled for the admin profile?
Arun Singh 45Arun Singh 45
I have followed all the steps mentioned this article however still not working 

http://docs.releasenotes.salesforce.com/en-us/spring16/release-notes/rn_sales_leads_edit_converted_leads.htm 

it was working before do not know what happen stopped working any idea 

Jack HarrisonJack Harrison
Hi all,

I've been struggling with this, despite having followed the above - when I access a converted lead to try and edit it I still get the stadnard 'this lead has already been converted'. It seems as though the UI won't actually allow the edit, despite selecting the new profile additions./

@aneesh B4 and @aaron Wooster, because the Salesforce Admin is a standard profile, you won't be allowed to edit it's permissions. I'd reccommend cloning the profile, then amending the cloned version (name is something like Salesforce Admin - Custom etc. so you knwo which is which!). When you open the custom, open system settings (under the profile) and then selct the boxes for the above fields. 

You'll then need to amend your profile to the new custom one you've created (but you can't change your own profile, so will have to ask another SF admin in your org nicely to log in and change it to the new one for you!)

Hope this helps, and if anyone knows why I seem to be unable to edit the receords in a converted lead despite having followed the 'Best Answer' above, that would be great.
MoggyMoggy
Hi Jack, the best answer above isn't the answer

go into your profile I assume system admin, navigate to App Permissions
scroll all the way down last entry under Sales
View and Edit converted Leads, tick the box and save

only downside is that you see those lead in a standard layout, like the normal lead records
but you don't need a custom profile for that, I bet you could also use a permission set

hope that helps
This was selected as the best answer
Mayank.msMayank.ms
Hi Moggy,

It was the older solution.

Sarana Yadav Sabbi 11Sarana Yadav Sabbi 11
Hi Moggy, 

Thank you for the solution.

I have Sys admin profile, but Im unable to enable the "View and Edit Converted Leads" check box permission. Am I missing something here?

Also, I would like to know, if we update the fields(assuming these fields are mapped to Opportunity) on Converted Lead, will that be updated on Opportunity. ?

Thanks,
--Sarana.
Ravindranath SharmaRavindranath Sharma
Hi All,

To find this permission, please follow the steps mentioned below-

1- Go to setup and click.
2- Now type user interface under quick find box.
3- Now under setup section- click on "Enable "Set Audit Fields upon Record Creation" and "Update Records with Inactive Owners" User Permissions."

This will enable the permission needed for it.

Thanks,
Ravindra

Jamie Bellows 15Jamie Bellows 15
I was having trouble updating my profile after enabling the checkbox under the User Interface section - as it looks like a few others here have - and was able to get around it by creating a premission set highlighted here: https://help.salesforce.com/articleView?id=leads_view_edit_converted.htm&type=5. Once you create the permission set, just assign it to yourself/whoever needs it and you should be able to update converted leads via workbench or dataloader. yay!