function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
chriscwharrischriscwharris 

Child record creation security

I have a master-detail relationship where the master record is information I want a user to see but not edit and the child is a record I want them to create. I realise that security is inherited in a master-detail however can you add additional edit rights to the child so that a user can create child records without having edit access to the parent?
Marek Kosar_Marek Kosar_
Hi,

you can set READ to parent and READ/WRITE to child - go to setup -> objects -> your child object and edit master-detail field.
There is sharing setting option:
User-added image

Marek
What happens when there are 3 levels? So you have Grandparent, Parent, Child. I have the setting you indicated above on the child relationship already but I still get an error when trying to create a child record.
Marek Kosar_Marek Kosar_
Should be the same -> owd are inherited from Parent (~Grandparent in your case) to child object.
Do you have custom object permission on profile set correctly?
What error are you getting?

The OWD for the grandparent is Private. The use can read the grandparent and parent. The user can create the child but when they try to save this error appears.

Insufficient Privileges
You do not have the level of access necessary to perform the operation you requested. Please contact the owner of the record or your administrator if access is necessary. For more information, see Insufficient Privileges Errors.

Now one thing I wonder is the parent has a rollup summary from the child. Could that be a problem?
Muna Jamous5Muna Jamous5
Marek Kosar,

Thank you, that was really helpful.

T