function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
AbAb 

Not available to change master detail in to lookup field

Hello,

I have a object like below, its a custom object
User-added image
I dont see any rollup on this object.
I am not able to convert masterdetail to lookup,
Can anyone let me know what can be reason ?

thanks for suggestion!
Best Answer chosen by Ab
nagendra 6989nagendra 6989
Hello Sandrine,

Changing master detail relationship to look up relationship is definetely possible.If you are not using Enterprise Edition please follow the below process to achieve your requirement.

I am sure about this problem : 

if A is master of B then if you need to change this master detail relationship to lookup then you only need to click on setup ->
obeject;> master detail field > Edit> now you will not be able to see button "change field type" if there is Roll up summary field on Master object so delete it first and also remove it from "deleted fied" trash box  then you will be able to see"change field type" button.Once you remove it from trash box change field type will be available to you.Just click on it and change it to LookUp Relationship.

Please mark it as solved if it helps you........

Thanks & Regards,
Nagendra.P

All Answers

DeepthiDeepthi (Salesforce Developers) 
Hi Sandrine,

Once you create a master detail relationship, you can create a roll up summary field on the master object. If you want to convert the MD relationship to lookup make sure you delete all the rollup summaries on the master object.

Best Regards,
Deepthi
JyothsnaJyothsna (Salesforce Developers) 
Hi ,

If the parent object doesn’t have Roll-up Summary fields for the child object then we can convert.
Please check your parent object, is there any roll-up summary field associated with your master object.

If Parent object contains roll-up summary field first delete that field and then convert master-detail to lookup relationship.

Hope this helps you!
Best Regards,
Jyothsna
AbAb
Hello,

I have deleted the rollups on master detail object which correspond to the child object, but i still dont have option to convert the field.
Its strange, as i dont think it is necessary to delete all the rollups on the master object which doenst have any relation to child objects.

any suggestion ?
thanks
nagendra 6989nagendra 6989
Hello Sandrine,

Changing master detail relationship to look up relationship is definetely possible.If you are not using Enterprise Edition please follow the below process to achieve your requirement.

I am sure about this problem : 

if A is master of B then if you need to change this master detail relationship to lookup then you only need to click on setup ->
obeject;> master detail field > Edit> now you will not be able to see button "change field type" if there is Roll up summary field on Master object so delete it first and also remove it from "deleted fied" trash box  then you will be able to see"change field type" button.Once you remove it from trash box change field type will be available to you.Just click on it and change it to LookUp Relationship.

Please mark it as solved if it helps you........

Thanks & Regards,
Nagendra.P
This was selected as the best answer
Ashley Sisti 11Ashley Sisti 11
I am having this same problem, and I think you have to delete all the rollup summary fields, regardless of which object they are summarizing, which is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. I have way too many of these and they are referenced in way too many other places to make it feasible to delete them just to change this relationshp, which is completely UNRELATED, back to lookup. The whole reason I'm in this situation is because my child object is a custom object, child of Opportunity (which of course has tons of Opportunity Product rollup summary fields), that I have an approval process built on, and when I changed the relationship to master-detail it removed the ability of any user other than the Opportunity Owner to submit records for approval, since now the child object basically doesn't have its own owner. Broke all my approval processes and I can't fix them without recreating the entire relationship from scratch. Thanks, Salesforce. Another useless restriction.
Ashley Sisti 11Ashley Sisti 11
Replying to my own answer - I submitted a support case and eventually discovered that in addition to not having rollup summary fields that summarize the child object, you also can't have any cross-object workflow field updates related to the child/master relationship. Even if they are not used in a workflow rule, if you have any field updates at all that are cross object for those objects, you need to delete them. Then you should be able to change the field type back. Went through 2 support reps and several bits of trial and error to get there, but it can be done!
Manan Shah 15Manan Shah 15
Thanks Ashley. It worked for me to delete roll up summary and delete workflow field update in order to change from master detail to lookup relationship
Roshani Katre 6Roshani Katre 6
Thanks @nagendra 6989. Erasing the field from 'deleted field' really helped!