function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Diavonna S.Diavonna S. 

External Integration Scripts & Filtered Lookup Fields

Hello,

I'm hoping someone can provide me a little insight with a situation/problem I'm having with an integration.  I am working with an vendor for an application and their script is failing miserably; they are also not familiar with Salesforce.  I don't know what they are coding in as they are not telling me, but if I can find out I'll update.  

We have two Salesforce custom objects: Grant and Checklist.  There is a lookup field on the Checklist object called Grant ID which has a filter that retrieves the corresponding Grant number if this field were to be populated manually.  The vendor's script was failing (Field Filter Validation Exception) due to the filter.  However, once I removed it, their script caused mayhem in the form of 2000+ duplicated records.

Idealistically what should be happening is the following:
  1. Checklist is created in the external program and the record is created in Salesforce
  2. Grant ID is located via filtered lookup field and Grant ID field is populated by external program's on the Checklist record
What I would like to know is, if this is something that's even possible to do?  My internal customer wants to "complete the circuit" between the Account, Grant and Checklist objects, and while it's obvious it can be done in Salesforce, can it be done via an external scripting?  

Any assistance or insight is greatly appreciated.

Diavonna 
UC InnovationUC Innovation
Yes, it can be done with the external program using one of Salesforce's APIs, such as SOAP, REST or BULK.  With these APIs, you can create records and relate records (parent/child) with each other just like in Apex.
Diavonna S.Diavonna S.
@UCInnovation  Thank you for responding and my apologies for taking so long to get back to you.  Unfortunately, the more I tried to get them to use Salesforce's APIs to make the integration work, the more they resisted.  So the integration they could get to work is slipshod at best and my internal customer has given up on getting what she wanted.