function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
indyindy 

Profiles migration though ANT migration tool/Change sets

SFDC folks – I have a question and need all your inputs on migrating Salesforce compoents(fields, Record types and pick list values…) associated to Profiles in the source org to target org though ANT migration tool/Change sets.
If I include 10 fields and 3 profiles(Profile 1, Profile 2 and Profil 3 – Assume all the 3 profiles exists in target org) , Will migration tool modifies only the 10 fields and field level security settings associated with 3 profiles included in the package.xml or will it override the Profiles in the target org irrespective of fields mentioned in the package.xml in the target org?.

Also there was a saying that do not include the Profiles in any of the migration tool(ANT or Changes set) and perform all the field level security settings manually in target org after deployment. Is it is true statement. ?

My thought is we can very well include the profiles in package.xml, otherwise it will be a tedious work to enable the pemissions if the fields are more.

Please clarify the above questions.

Thanks,
Indy  

NagendraNagendra (Salesforce Developers) 
Hi Indy,

If you include Profiles and 10 fields in Package.XML ,all the fields along with respective of FLS of those profiles included in the package XML will be respected .

I do not think its right idea to exclude profiles in your package.xml since that will mean lot of manual work .

In short "yes migration tool modifies only the 10 fields and field-level security settings associated with 3 profiles included in the package.XML and it will not override the other settings of the profile"

Please mark this thread as solved if it helps.

Best Regards,
Nagendra.P
SFUser Source 5SFUser Source 5
If you are considering metadata migration try using sourceput : https://sourceput.com
David HalesDavid Hales
HI ,

As i understood your Problem it is rightly said that You need to check all the FLS thing Manually. Because in some Cases due to small Miss of Any profile Fls are not maintained so You can Include profile  but Please do check and It reduces a lot of Manual Effort but at the same time please cross check the Things. 
Regards 
David Hales (1058)