function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Jackson DiasJackson Dias 

admin question on record type and page layout

How can I understand the concept of record types and page layouts in simple real time example.?
SandhyaSandhya (Salesforce Developers) 
Hi Jackson Dias,

Please refer below link which has the good explanation for record types and page layouts by one of the Salesforce MVP.

http://www.adminhero.com/hands-on-with-page-layouts-and-record-types/

https://www.shellblack.com/whiteboard/salesforce-record-types-and-page-layouts/

Hope this helps you!

Please accept my solution as Best Answer if my reply was helpful. It will make it available for other as the proper solution. If you felt I went above and beyond, you can give me kudos.

Thanks and Regards
Sandhya

Ashley Wagner 7Ashley Wagner 7
Hi Jackson!
I can give you an example with a Client I currently work with. 
Client X has 4 different departments: Sales, Service, Field Service, and Parts
Each of the departments create opportunities but they are different types of opportunities ie Part, sales, service, and field service. They use 4 different record types on the Opportunity object to keep track of each department.
With that same scenario, each department requests different fields for their opportunity and that is why there are 4 different opportunity layouts. You can customize each layout to fit the requirements and "layout" of each department.
Please let me know if this helps you! If not I am more than happy to help you more. 

Thank you!  
veda nalluriveda nalluri
how to make record read only while selecting one picklist value and saving
Dinesh KathadeDinesh Kathade
Hi Veda !
Salesforce does not natively offer this kind of functionality. You cannot make a text field a dependent field to a picklist, like you can a picklist to a picklist. Essentially, you need the page to rerender when Inactive is selected, to gray out or remove the Description field. This may be possible with code, but I am not a developer and can't help you with that.