function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Bhaskar PramanikBhaskar Pramanik 

Salesforce Database: Is there an underlying RDBMS or any other data architecture?

Hello Community,

I just started off with Salesforce, a couple of days ago, and right now I am going through trails. I was going through Data layer functionalities that are offered with Salesforce and I must say I've got a serious itch :D to pitch this query to community for help.
There's something called Salesforce Database, and then there are other things collectively called RDBMS.

Now my query is >>

Is Salesforce database built as a layer (extending the functionalities of traditional DBMS - mostly using its native programming language) / wrapper around some RDBMS?

If yes, then this would mean, Salesforce primarily handles all of Salesforce database features by creating extra meta data tables / heaps to hold the context of data which exists in the org.

If no, then I assume, there could be a Datastore functionality developed by Salesforce exclusively. I would love to know more about that.

Thanks to anyone who attempts to clarify ;)

If this query is already answered somewhere - stackoverflow etc, please let me have the link.

Cheers !
- Bhaskar