function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Tyler ZikaTyler Zika 

return the selected value of a picklist

Hello,

From this documentation https://developer.salesforce.com/docs/atlas.en-us.apexcode.meta/apexcode/apex_class_Schema_PicklistEntry.htm#apex_Schema_PicklistEntry_getLabel

I see how how to return values from a custom picklist value. I've implented to code in my Visualforce controller like so.

public List<PicklistEntry> transportation
{
        get
        {
          Schema.DescribeFieldResult F = GO_Event__c.Transportation__c.getDescribe();
          List<Schema.PicklistEntry> P = F.getPicklistValues();

return P;
        }
}

The problem is it's returning all the values instead and other code instead of just the one selected value in the record. Here is the Visualforce code

<li>{!transportation}</li>
and a screen shot of the output on the page.
User-added image

How to I get the one selected picklist value?
Best Answer chosen by Tyler Zika
Abhishek BansalAbhishek Bansal

Hi Tyler,

There is no impact of the data type. I think the field is not visible for the logged in user from which you are viewing the page.
Please check the FLS of the "Transportation__c" field.

Thanks,
Abhishek Bansal

All Answers

Hi Tyler,

Please use the below code :
public List<String> transportation
{
        get
        {
          Schema.DescribeFieldResult F = GO_Event__c.Transportation__c.getDescribe();
          List<Schema.PicklistEntry> P = F.getPicklistValues();
          List<String> picklistValues = new List<String>();
		  for(Schema.PicklistEntry pickValue : p){
			  picklistValues.add(pickValue.getValue());
		  }
          return picklistValues;
        }
}

Please let me know if you need more help or information on this.

Thanks,
Abhishek Bansal

Tyler ZikaTyler Zika
Hey thanks for your input. I see this returns ALL the values from my picklist. But what I want is the return value, the selected value from the record. In my record "Cruise Ship" is the selected transportation. How do I make that value print on the VF page?
Tyler ZikaTyler Zika
Here is the controller code for my VF page.
public GO_Event__c GoEvent { get; set; }

private void init()
    {
        currentUserContactId = [select COntactId from User where Id = :userinfo.getUserId()].COntactId;
        IsAlreadyRegistered = false;
        GoEvent = [select Id, name, Event_Day_of_the_Week__c, Return_Address__c, Return_Time__c, Departure_Time__c, Departure_Address__c, Event_Date__c, Event_Description__c, Event_Description_Short__c, Registrations__c, Event_Amount__c, Event_GO_Region__c, Event_Image_URL__c, Spots_Available__c, Event_Publish_Date__c, Event_Time__c, Event_Time_Start__c, Event_Time_End__c, Event_Status__c, Event_Type__c, Event_Coordinator__c, Event_Coordinator_Email__c, Transportation__c, Public_Page_URL__c from GO_Event__c where Id = :eventId];
}

The API name in the object is called Transportation__c, which is in the GoEvent SOQL call.

When I type
{!GoEvent.Transportation__c}
in my VF page, it doesn't return anything, but works for all the other values list in the GoEvent. I think the problem is because it's a picklist.

Hi Tyler,

You are going in the wrong direction if you want to show the value of the Picklist from your record.
In order to show the picklist value of a single record you have to do something as mentioned below :
public String getTransportationValue {
	GO_Event__c tempGoEvent = [Select Transportation__c from GO_Event__c LIMIT 1];
	return tempGoEvent.Transportation__c;
}
//On your VF page use the below statement 
{!transportationValue}

Please let me know if you need more help on this.

Thanks,
Abhishek Bansal

Hi Tyler,

There is no impact of the data type. I think the field is not visible for the logged in user from which you are viewing the page.
Please check the FLS of the "Transportation__c" field.

Thanks,
Abhishek Bansal

This was selected as the best answer
Tyler ZikaTyler Zika
That was it! The FLS. Thank you!!!