function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Bill Powell - CSS IncBill Powell - CSS Inc 

Lead Status Update On Completed Activity (email, logged call, etc)

Hi all, i'm a relatively new SF admin and wanted "Lead Status" to change to "Contacted" once some sort of activity is logged on the lead record. I tried using process builder, but that didnt work for obvious reasons, and was suggested to try an Apex Trigger. I have 0 coding experience and found the following trigger (only changed the names of the fields to match my org): 

trigger LeadStatus on Task (before insert, before update) {
    String desiredNewLeadStatus = 'Contacted';

List<Id> leadIds=new List<Id>();
    for(Task t:trigger.new){
        if(t.Status=='Completed'){
            if(t.whoId != null && String.valueOf(t.whoId).startsWith('00Q')==TRUE){//check if the task is associated with a lead
                leadIds.add(t.whoId);
            }//if 2
        }//if 1
    }//for
    List<Lead> leadsToUpdate=[SELECT Id, Status FROM Lead WHERE Id IN :leadIds AND IsConverted=FALSE];
    For (Lead l:leadsToUpdate){
        l.Status=desiredNewLeadStatus;
    }//for

try{
        update leadsToUpdate;
    }catch(DMLException e){
        system.debug('Leads were not all properly updated.  Error: '+e);
    }
}//trigger

This worked in sandbox, but when trying to deploying to production, gave me the error of 0% code is covered. I learned that it requires an Apex Class (test class?). Since I have no experience writing code, i did some searching and found a similar test class and changed the field names, etc, and didn't work. I've just about given up. 

Does anyone see any errors with the trigger above, and can provide me a test class? It'll help me learn and solve an immediate problem. 

Thank you! 

Best Answer chosen by Bill Powell - CSS Inc
Ravi Dutt SharmaRavi Dutt Sharma
Hi Bill,

Try below test class. You owe me a beer if your production deployment goes through ;-)

@isTest
private class LeadStatusTest {

static testMethod void testTaskCompletionEvent(){
        // Create a lead record
        Lead ld = new Lead(LastName='TestLead',Company='TestCompany',Status='Open - Not Contacted');
        insert ld;

// Create a task record
        System.Test.startTest();
        Task tsk = new Task(OwnerId=UserInfo.getUserId(),Subject='Call',Priority='High',Status='Completed',WhoId=ld.Id);
        insert tsk;
        System.assertEquals('Contacted', [SELECT Status FROM Lead WHERE Id=:ld.Id LIMIT 1].Status);
        System.Test.stopTest();
    }
}

All Answers

Ravi Dutt SharmaRavi Dutt Sharma
Hi Bill,

Try below test class. You owe me a beer if your production deployment goes through ;-)

@isTest
private class LeadStatusTest {

static testMethod void testTaskCompletionEvent(){
        // Create a lead record
        Lead ld = new Lead(LastName='TestLead',Company='TestCompany',Status='Open - Not Contacted');
        insert ld;

// Create a task record
        System.Test.startTest();
        Task tsk = new Task(OwnerId=UserInfo.getUserId(),Subject='Call',Priority='High',Status='Completed',WhoId=ld.Id);
        insert tsk;
        System.assertEquals('Contacted', [SELECT Status FROM Lead WHERE Id=:ld.Id LIMIT 1].Status);
        System.Test.stopTest();
    }
}

This was selected as the best answer
Thanks Ravi, i'll run it today. And i'd absolutely buy you a beer next week if you were going to the Salesforce World Tour in NYC! I'll be there, it'll be my first official Salesforce held event. 
Ravi, it worked, you are the man. THANK YOU! 
Vikram Varma 2Vikram Varma 2
Hey Ravi,  Bill,
New to Salesforce developing as well, but Bill's code seemed to be exactly what I needed. I am having trouble deploying it though.  When I deployed Ravi's code, I had a few errors.  a) I had to change the initial status to Open from "Open - not contacted" as that was the default in our Salesforce.  Then I got another error "System.AssertException: Assertion Failed: Expected: Contacted, Actual: Open"  
So I changed the assert.Equals to "Open".  The test then passed and was deployed.  But now when I try to deploy the trigger, it says that the Apex test failure in the LeadStatusTest is  "System.AssertException: Assertion Failed: Expected: Open, Actual: Contacted "
Can either of you help please?
Vikram