function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Krishna Cheemalamarri 2Krishna Cheemalamarri 2 

Task Creation - Account - Contact relationship

Here is what I did.
1. I've selected an account - ABC Labs on a sample org 
2. Then I went down to "Open Activities" Section
3. Clicked on the "New Task" button which took me to the "New Task" page.
4. Did a search and selected a "Contact" for a Task that belonged to ABC Company
5. I was hoping that the "Account" field will be automatically populated and grayed out once I select a "Contact" since the "Contact" belongs to an account, but the "Account" field is still editable. I can still go ahead and change the "Account" field to an "Account" that's totally unrelated to the "Contact" I have selected. I thought there will be some default validation rules already set up. Am I wrong to make that assuption?
William Christ NYWilliam Christ NY
Selecting a Contact for a Task does not automatically update the "Related To" field to match the Contact's parent Account.  The field remains editable so that you can choose to link the Task to another record besides the Contact, such as an Opportunity, a Campaign, or even a different Account.  When you link a Task to a Contact, the Task will automatically roll up and appear in the "Open Activities" / "Activity History" related list on the Contact's parent Account page, even if the "Related To" field remains blank.  If the "Related To" field is linked to a different Account record, the Task will appear in the related list of that Account as well as the Contact's parent Account.