function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
ABC XYZ 39ABC XYZ 39 

Multiple unrelated workflow rules getting triggered for a single workflow field update

Hi, I have 3 fields - A,B,C  These fields have values Yes and No. 
Basic functionality is everytime A, B or C field values change, date for A gets changed to time user made the changes . Same for B and Same for C. I have using 3 workflow rules with field update for 3 fields A,B, C

Issue : Whenever field 'A'  value is changed from 'Yes' to 'No', date for 'A' changes to system time. In addition, date for 'B' and 'C' field is also getting changed to same system time as 'A' system time even if there is no change in values for fields 'B' and 'C'.

Below is the workflow and equivalent field update I am using 

OR(NOT( ISPICKVAL(A__c, "")),AND((ISCHANGED( A__c )), NOT(Ischanged(ADate__c)))  )
Field update : Change ADate__c to now()

Same workflow rule for fields 'B' and 'C'. Not able to figure out why workflows for 'B' and 'C' are also getting triggered because of 'A' and vice versa. Please help. I am trying to resolve this issue for a couple of hours now. Thanks
Best Answer chosen by ABC XYZ 39
Maharajan CMaharajan C
Hi Friend,

Sorry for the late reply!!!

Create another one workflow with the Evaluation Criteria : when a record is created, and every time it's edited
Rule Criteria : ISNEW()   ( This formula only work for the above criteria )
And create the Three Field updates within that Workflow (  Specify New Field Value as NOW()    )

Let me know if you want any further help.

If those points are help means mark these as a best answer.

Thanks,
Raj
(Sweet Potato Tec)

All Answers

Maharajan CMaharajan C
Hi,

Why you are using the OR function here don't use that OR in here.If you use that means any one of that inside the formula becomes true means it will do the field update here.In your formula NOT(Ischanged(ADate__c) becomes true for those three Workflows so it will start the firing.
Use the AND function instead of that you will surely get the Proper Result.
Use the formula like below(Choose one formula).
1)   AND(NOT( ISPICKVAL(A__c, "")),AND((ISCHANGED( A__c )), NOT(Ischanged(ADate__c)))  )
                                                                OR
2)   AND(NOT( ISPICKVAL(C__c, "")),AND((ISCHANGED(C__c ))) )

And also check ADate__c is a Date/Time Field type because now() Function only working for Date/Time Field type.

Thanks,
Raj
(Sweet Potato Tec)

ABC XYZ 39ABC XYZ 39
Thank you for the solution.
It works now but only in case of modification.
On creation of a new record, if I select a value for field A, B or C, date field is not gettting populated to system time.
This part of the formula is not working : NOT( ISPICKVAL(A__c, "")) 
Pls. suggest ways to fix this. 
ABC XYZ 39ABC XYZ 39
date field is blank for A, B and C fields even if a value is selected on creation of a new record
Maharajan CMaharajan C
Hi Friend,

Sorry for the late reply!!!

Create another one workflow with the Evaluation Criteria : when a record is created, and every time it's edited
Rule Criteria : ISNEW()   ( This formula only work for the above criteria )
And create the Three Field updates within that Workflow (  Specify New Field Value as NOW()    )

Thanks,
Raj
(Sweet Potato Tec)

This was selected as the best answer