function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
nitin sharma 190nitin sharma 190 

Workflows

I have read that we can update parent object from the child record  using workflows provioded the relrionship is Master detail.However, when i checked the  opporunity field I saw that opporunutity and acount have look up relationship then how come i am abl to update account from the opp object when releationship is look up between them.

Is there something that I am missing?

if the relationship is mater detail between them ,Can i see that in the system?

Please help,
Thanks
Santosh Kumar 275Santosh Kumar 275
If you will see the field definition, opportunity to account is a lookup field. 
But in terms of business logic it behaves as Master-Detail relationship.

e.g. you can create Rollup summary field in account,  if an account is deleted then related opportunity will be deleted.

But in UI terms it behaves as lookup like its not mandatory to associate account on opportunity record. 
If you have created a opportunity with account and you delete that account then opportunity will be deleted, this shows that it is in Master-Detail relationship.
But this is a standard behavior.
It is a lookup relationship but behaves like master-detail, similar as Account and Contact.
nitin sharma 190nitin sharma 190
Thanks for your reply.

So if we delete account then contact associated with it will also be deleted which means it is a master detail relationship even though system shows them as lookup relationshisp which is kind of weird.However,I understood because u explained it nicely.

Is there any object other than opportuinitya contact which behave similarly in relation to account.

Thanks for your help