function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Mitch McConnellMitch McConnell 

pre insert trigger question

I am reviewing some code that I inherited  :-)

It uses a "before" trigger as follows.  It is trying to take a variable from the Quote and
copy it to the OpportunityLineItem.

trigger OpportunityProductTrigger on OpportunityLineItem (before insert, before update) {

if(Trigger.isBefore){
        OpportunityProductServices.addParentSortOrderNumber(trigger.new);
    }

}

The method being called is as follows:

public class OpportunityProductServices{

// Populating Base OpportunityLine Item's Sort Order number on Add-on OLI's 
    public static void addParentSortOrderNumber(List<OpportunityLineItem> lst_OLI){

Set<String> set_OpportunityIds = new Set<String>(); // Creating Set of Opportunity Ids for which Opportunity Lineitem is created or updated
        for(OpportunityLineItem var : lst_OLI){
            set_OpportunityIds.add(var.OpportunityId);
        }

Map<Id, Map<Id, QuoteLineItem>> map_Opprtunity2Quote = new Map<Id, Map<Id, QuoteLineItem>>();
        // Getting List of QLI for Opportunity ids which has Quote Quote Synced
        for(QuoteLineItem var : [Select Id, SortOrder, Base_OLI_Id__c, Quote.OpportunityId 
                                from QuoteLineItem WHERE Quote.isSyncing=true and 
                                Quote.OpportunityId IN : set_OpportunityIds]){
            if(map_Opprtunity2Quote.containsKey(var.Quote.OpportunityId)){
                map_Opprtunity2Quote.get(var.Quote.OpportunityId).put(var.Id, var);
            }else{
                Map<Id, QuoteLineItem> map_QuoteLine = new Map<Id, QuoteLineItem>();
                map_QuoteLine.put(var.Id, var);
                map_Opprtunity2Quote.put(var.Quote.OpportunityId, map_QuoteLine);
            }
        }
        for(OpportunityLineItem var : lst_OLI){
            Map<Id, QuoteLineItem> map_QuoteLine = map_Opprtunity2Quote.get(var.OpportunityId);
            for(QuoteLineItem QLI : map_QuoteLine.values()){
                // Putting Sort Number on Custom Field of OLI
                if(var.SortOrder == QLI.SortOrder && QLI.Base_OLI_Id__c != null){
                    var.Base_OLI_Sort_Number__c =  map_QuoteLine.get(QLI.Base_OLI_Id__c).sortOrder;  
                }
            }            
        }
    }

}

My question is this:

Since there are no DML operations being performed in the called method, does this
code *do* anything?

Is the "trigger.new" that is passed in directly from the trigger to the method passed by reference, and 
therefore setting Base_OLI_Sort_Number__c actually sets it somehow?

Thanks,

Mitch

Best Answer chosen by Mitch McConnell
Srinivas SSrinivas S
Hi Mitch,

OpportunityProductTrigger fire on OpportunityLineItem whenever you perform insert/update through UI or through data loader.

Example:
MyObject {Name = 'Smith'} is the record I am inserting through UI or Apex Data Loader.

In before trigger you can modify the record info. say I am changing to MyObject {Name = 'Will Smith'}
Note: I am modifying the record before the DML operation completes hence it will perform the DML operation with my updated changes.

This is the reason why in before insert/update if you are making changes on the same object on which you are creating the trigger no need of using the DML explicitly.

Above code will make changes to the Base_OLI_Sort_Number__c field.

------------
Thanks,
Srinivas
- Please mark as solution if your problem is resolved.

All Answers

Srinivas SSrinivas S
Hi Mitch,

OpportunityProductTrigger fire on OpportunityLineItem whenever you perform insert/update through UI or through data loader.

Example:
MyObject {Name = 'Smith'} is the record I am inserting through UI or Apex Data Loader.

In before trigger you can modify the record info. say I am changing to MyObject {Name = 'Will Smith'}
Note: I am modifying the record before the DML operation completes hence it will perform the DML operation with my updated changes.

This is the reason why in before insert/update if you are making changes on the same object on which you are creating the trigger no need of using the DML explicitly.

Above code will make changes to the Base_OLI_Sort_Number__c field.

------------
Thanks,
Srinivas
- Please mark as solution if your problem is resolved.

This was selected as the best answer
Mitch McConnellMitch McConnell
Srinivas,  thanks for the explanation.  It actually makes sense, now that you explained it.