function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Mike SummittMike Summitt 

Related list using "grandfather" relationship.

I want to create a related list to drop onto a page, based on an indirect relationship.

Example: I have an object subscription and a second object subscriptiondetail, which has a lookup (not a master/detail) to subscription.  The subscriptiondetail also contains a lookup to the standard SF object Product.  I want to define a related list and put it on the product page, containing subscriptions that have subscriptiondetail records that relate to the product.  I don't want a related list of subscriptiondetails, the related list will need to contain fields from the subscription object, so it needs to be a related list of subscriptions, but the actual relationship is a level lower in subscriptiondetail.

Is this possible by creating a controller or class for just the related list, rather than replacing the entire parent page with a custom version?

Best Answer chosen by Mike Summitt
Veenesh VikramVeenesh Vikram
Hi Mike,

You can achieve the same by using "Inline VF page". You create a custom Related list in a VF page and put that VF page "In-Line" on the Detail page of the record. No need to replicate the whole detail page! :)
Refer : http://salesforcesource.blogspot.co.uk/2008/10/how-to-create-custom-related-list-on.html

Best Regards
Veenesh

All Answers

Hi Mike,

You can achieve the same by using "Inline VF page". You create a custom Related list in a VF page and put that VF page "In-Line" on the Detail page of the record. No need to replicate the whole detail page! :)
Refer : http://salesforcesource.blogspot.co.uk/2008/10/how-to-create-custom-related-list-on.html

Best Regards
Veenesh
This was selected as the best answer
Mike SummittMike Summitt
Thanks, Veenesh.  Do you know if this will cause the new VF page to be shown among the other related lists in the page designer, and allow users to control the order of related lists they see, including the custom one?
Hi Mike!

Like I said in the other thread, 
You can embed your VF page inside of the record detail on the page layout. You can make it look like a related list but it won't actually fall below the detail section.

I'm afraid but thats the case Buddy!

Veenesh
Mike SummittMike Summitt
Thanks again, Veenesh.