function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Tamara HayTamara Hay 

Linking products to line items as additional products

Hoping someone can help me.
I need to find a way to add products to other line items without creating them as seperate products.
What I mean, we have products that get added to line items as the primary products. Often, we need to add other products related to these line items, such as install fee's and additional products (almost like a bundle situation).

Currently, we add all of these as individual line items, but this causes issues further down our sales process.

Ive tried creating a Junction object, related lists, lookup fields etc but I cant find anything that works.

We have a visualforce page to select initial product, and we have a custom object called "Provisioning Details" that we use to add all the technical requirements related to a line item.
Ideally, id like either a opplineitem related list within the provisioning detail object, or a way to add a secondary product line item to the primary line item.

Anyone have any suggestions on the best way to do this?
Best Answer chosen by Tamara Hay
RaidanRaidan
Hi Tamara,

With Salesforce out-of-the-box functionalities, what you want to do is quite challenging. The way Salesforce structures the line item object makes it harder to implement the solutions (e.g. can't create a lookup to the line item object). So this will give you two options:
1. Create a totally new Quote and Quote Line objects and sync them with Salesforce Opportunity and Opportunity Line. By doing this, you will have full control over the quote line object and can link the lines to each other easily. Synching to opportunity will enable you to still use many Sales Cloud features and reports. You will probably have to also create a junction object to link the product dependencies.
2. Buy a CPQ (Configure-Price-Quote) package from the AppExchange. They have created all the things above for you (of course, with a price).

All Answers

RaidanRaidan
Hi Tamara,

With Salesforce out-of-the-box functionalities, what you want to do is quite challenging. The way Salesforce structures the line item object makes it harder to implement the solutions (e.g. can't create a lookup to the line item object). So this will give you two options:
1. Create a totally new Quote and Quote Line objects and sync them with Salesforce Opportunity and Opportunity Line. By doing this, you will have full control over the quote line object and can link the lines to each other easily. Synching to opportunity will enable you to still use many Sales Cloud features and reports. You will probably have to also create a junction object to link the product dependencies.
2. Buy a CPQ (Configure-Price-Quote) package from the AppExchange. They have created all the things above for you (of course, with a price).
This was selected as the best answer
Tamara HayTamara Hay
Thanks Raidan! I feared this may be the case.

RaidanRaidan
Hi Tamara, please don't forget to mark the question as solved. And good luck with the implementation.
Tamara HayTamara Hay
Raidan, can you please explain how to link line items using quotes? Ive done some research on this however having not used quotes previously, im unsure how this is done.