function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
FSamorganFSamorgan 

Salesforce caused a full customer outage mid last week with no warning

I just had Salesforce rudely stomp my app (listed on the AppExchange) last Wednesday (July 6th) because Salesforce added a new Javascript function named Scheduler in their Visualforce Page Javascript. This Javascript function overwrote my object with the same name which caused a service interruption for every single one of our customers. Is it Salesforce's policy to change the Javascript API mid release cycle? Is it possible to get a heads up when the Javascript environment is expected to change on the Visualforce Page platform?
Vasani ParthVasani Parth
FSamorgan - 

You can find the know issues here:  https://success.salesforce.com/issues_index . On the Known issues page, you will find the status of the issues. You can report a problem as well .
VineetKumarVineetKumar
Perhaps you would want to discuss this with the customer care support and get their clarification, it is hard to believe that salesforce releases something without prior notice, and even if there is any change they make sure none of it's business users are affected by that change
FSamorganFSamorgan
@VineetKumar
> it is hard to believe that salesforce releases something without prior notice

Yes, this is very hard to believe but here is the response from customer care:

We have received confirmation from tier3 that we had introduced a function named "Scheduler" into the main.js file. 

Also they have suggested that Customers should be namespacing (well, pseudo-namespacing) their JavaScript code to avoid collisions like this. That's just standard web development method. 

Salesforce libraries are growing faster and we cannot possibly document every global variable/function that we're adding to the JavaScript that is served with Salesforce. 

So we would suggest you should review your code, and correctly namespace functions/variables so you don't run into this in near future.