function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
George BTGeorge BT 

Easiest way to send a HTTP GET to an external REST endpoint.

Hi Everyone :)

I need to ping an external REST endpoint on certain events. I don't need to receive a response. I just need to send a reliable ping. The external system will use this as a trigger to perform some operations and update Salesforce using the standard inbound REST endpoints. 

What at is the best way to do this?

So far we've investigated:

1. APEX Triggers and HTTP call outs.
Pros: easy to ping a REST endpoint. Could be modified to parse a response if required later on. 
Cons: APEX development - with everything that comes along with it - unit testing and deployment etc. Code is rigid. Also not reliable as there are no inbuilt retries. 

2. Built-in outbound messaging. 
Pros: easy to implement on the Salesforce side. Built in retries. 
Cons: SOAP only so more development on the external system to accommodate the message. 

Am I missing something? Is there an easier way to ping an external REST endpoint on a given event? I literally only need to ping a URL with a GET request and the ID of the object that changed. I don't care about the response.

VineetKumarVineetKumar
Well just for sending a ping, Outbound message should be the first preference. Since, you are not parsing the response why spend time with apex development, go with point and click. But yes the only drawback would be the SOAP.
Christopher LeBlanc 17Christopher LeBlanc 17
I was looking for a simple solution to trigger our 3rd party APIs that handle all the logic/parsing (Jitterbit). A simple Workflow that fit the record criteria to fire the Outbound msg was just the trick. Great tip!
ridorex yunchaliridorex yunchali
Burger King has started a customer Experience survey called My BK Experience (http://mybkexperience.site/) Survey, which is accessible at your buy receipt with the official survey entrance mybkexperience