function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Edwin HerreraEdwin Herrera 

Display content different from the value

I am pulling fields from a database to my object on salesforce. one of the fields from the database are ID"s each ID represents a color such as ID 1111 is color green and 2222 is color yellow. The database does not have the actual color fields just the id for the color. How can I pull the ID's from the database but display Green, Yellow, or Red as the value on salesforce?
Siddharth ManiSiddharth Mani
Over the top all I can think of is to create a map. Something like:
Map<Integer, String> colorIndex = new Map<Integer,String>();
Populate this map with ID as the key and color as the value. Then you will be able to retrieve the same and display the colors as needed.
colorIndex.put(1111,'Green');
colorIndex.put(2222,'Yellow');

system.debug(colorIndex.get(1111));

Any idea is good with me. I am new to salesforce so how would I start a map and where would that code go that you have provided?
If there are any other ideas I would always try those as well.
Need more details to give you a definite answer. Like where do you want to display this value (VF Page or Stanrd Page), what are the Object/Field Names, how is this update supposed to happen (when a record is created/updated or after editing), how many such colors will be there etc.
I understand.
I would like to display in a visualforce page. The object api is Work_Item__c. The fields api are; Budget_Health__c, Schedule_Health__c, Overall_Health__c, and Quality_Scope_Health__c. These color ids would be pulled from the database and converted to an actual color. I would also like these fields to be editable between the different colors on the visual force page if possible. The colors are Blank, Green, Yellow, and Red. I only need the word displayed not the actual color.
You can use the logic I gave earlier in your Visualforce Page controller. Should do the trick. Once the Map gets created, the values can be displayed in the page using <apex:outputText> or something.
How do I call the map method on the visualforce page? also, since I have multiple fields that need a colorID to be translated how do I process the map for each field? below is what I have and I am stuck on how it is suppose to work. I thought that the map would automatically convert anything that has those numbers.

Map<Integer, String> colorIndex = new Map<Integer,String>();
colorIndex.put(557,'Blank')
colorIndex.put(558,'Green')
colorIndex.put(559,'Yellow')
colorIndex.put(560,'Red')

Also if I want all the values translated when the page is loaded where on the controller would I place this map or method?