function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Neema Gudur 8Neema Gudur 8 

adding custom related lists

Hello,
We are looking into the possibility of adding a custom related lists on one of our custom object. I also need to add a button in the custom related list called 'Edit', so when clicks the button , the user is taken to another VF page to edit or add information to the related list.
Has anyone implemented any such similar functionality in their org?
Based on  my research, adding the hover link at the top of the page is not possible? Is this true?

If I use a visual force page to display the custom related list as a page block table, how can I add this cutom related list at the bottom of the detail page of the custom object?

Best Answer chosen by Neema Gudur 8
VineetKumarVineetKumar
Well salesforce says that it has delivered this capability in the recent release, but I'm not able to see that in my dev org.
So, I would assume that yes the VF page is not visible in the Edit mode.

Do mark my answer as a best answer if it helped you

All Answers

VineetKumarVineetKumar
As you pointed out, you can create a custom VF page with the standard controller same as the object API name.
You can then add this VF page as an inline VF page, by editing the page layout.

The only limitation you will face, is that this custom related list cannot be at the bottom of the record page (like below all the related list), but will be the just above the place where the related lists start.
Archana BattaArchana Batta
Hi Neema,

I have couple of questions on this. What exactly you are trying to display in related list? Is it fields info related to an object or someother web-page itself?

If you are trying to create a related list with list of other object fields, then you can modify the page layout of the object where you see the related list. Go to page layout --> choose "Related List" --> Click the properties of respective related list --> There you will get a small window with list of fields available for your related list which you can select.

If at all you are trying to show a webpage/some page, then your option shouldnot be a related list i believe. You should go with some Custom Link or Button via "Buttons,Links & Actions" Option which you can find in both Custom and Standard objects.

Best Regards,
Batta Archana
Hi Archana, I want to create something similar to the “Opportunity Splits” related list that we see on the Opportunity object. I have an object ‘Project” . I need to add a related list of another custom object called ‘Client splits’ to the Project custom object. The project object and client spilts have a master detail relationship This custom related list needs to be a display the values in the client spilts for the project. Also this custom related list needs to have a button ‘Edit’, so user can click on the button to add additional client splits. When the “Edit” button is clicked, the user will be displayed another VF page where the user can add another row of data and validation takes place where sum of all the splits cannot be more than 100 and so on. So in short, it is not a plain display of a related list like ‘Contacts’ on the Account object. I saw multiple posts where developers have taken the path of implementing the custom related list as opposed to embedding a visual force page, but with the custom related list option, they faced many issues when they added a button on the related list. Some developers created a component to help display the hover links for the custom related list. Based on all this, I thought embedding a visual force page in the page layout is probably a viable solution with less issues. I am quite new to Sales force, so trying to get opinions/suggestions on the best possible approach. Thanks Neema
Thank You Vineet! I have a question though. If I embed a visual force page (for example on my custom object Project) using the standard controller, will the controller constructor be called each time when the user clicks on a project? Then only this approach would work for me. In the constructor, I am planning on querying the related list object of this project and displaying the results in a pageblocktable. Thanks Neema
Also what happens to the visual force page , when the object is in the edit mode?
VineetKumarVineetKumar
Yes, you will have to user the controller as an extension, this way on VF page section upload, the constructor will be called automatically.
Previously, there was no way to add the VF page to the standard page, but this idea has been delivered recently in Summer 16 release
Reference : https://success.salesforce.com/ideaview?id=08730000000Br8CAAS
Thank You. But the VF page will still not be visible in the Edit mode, correct?
VineetKumarVineetKumar
Well salesforce says that it has delivered this capability in the recent release, but I'm not able to see that in my dev org.
So, I would assume that yes the VF page is not visible in the Edit mode.

Do mark my answer as a best answer if it helped you
This was selected as the best answer
I am new to Sales force. How do release updates happen? Do they happen seemlessly? Or is the User asked to upgrade to the recent release. As a user, how would I know that I have all the new features from the release of summer 16?
VineetKumarVineetKumar
The release update are done automatically and seamlessly, the updates happen thrice a year.
Here are the steps to find the release version of an org:
1. If you are not using customized logo you can check the logo at the top left of the page. This will show the release version you are in e.g. Summer "15.
2. Navigate to Home Tab
3. Look at the right hand side of the page which will have a link like "Discover <Release Name>" e.g. "Discover Summer '15"
If the "Discover <Release Name>" is hidden, since there is a feature for that, you can navigate to trust.salesforce.com | status.
Click on the instance name, you will see which release the instance is on in the upper right corner.

Let me know if that helped.
Thank You! Very helpful