• Member since 2005

• Chatter
    Feed
    Best Answers
    Likes Given
    Questions
    Replies
So, here's my scenario:

I have an application that allows users to create contacts in salesforce. The application uses a System Admin user to connect to Sforce via the API using the Partner WSDL. The contact records seem to have been created correctly. Whenever any users browse to the contact records (from the account), they see all of the information just fine. However, when I run a report to display all of the contacts that the application has created, the only user that has information populated in their report is the user that the API is using to login. Not even other System Admins can see the report contents. What am I missing because it seems pretty straightforward?

Thanks,

Joe
Is creating a many to many relationship between 2 sforce objects supported? If so, how to?
I've got a customer with professional edition that needs a little custom work, and I'm not sure how to get started without access to the API. Is there any scontrol documentation out there that demonstrates stuff like getting a list of all of the prospects?
Hmm, so here's my problem:

When a self service user comes into my client's customer portal, then I need to display all of the cases that are related to that user's account. My problem is performance. Here's the specific scenario:

SS logs in, I get their contact id and account id. Store it in the session.

The user hits the cases page. Cases are connected to accounts by ContactId. So I take the Account Id and grab all the contacts for an account. There are like 500 contacts for some of these guys. I then proceed to send off a whole bunch of API calls for each contactId. I pursued adding a whole bunch of "or ContactId='00000000AAA'" clauses to the end of the SOQL statement, and that helped alot, although, you have to know your SOQL query size limits and plan accordingly.

What I really wanted to be able to do is this this, though:

SELECT Id
FROM Case c
INNER JOIN Contact con ON con.ContactId = c.Id
INNER JOIN Account acct ON c.AccountId = acct.Id
WHERE acct.Id = 'UsersAccountId'

I know I can do this with dbamp (via a linked server) and the openaccess data provider (though it's $999 for my Win 2k3 server). What I want to know is can I just as easily work with the objects in the Sforce Office Toolkit?

I'm not really familiar with toolkit, but when I play around with it in VB.Net, I get a lot of 'Cannot be indexed because of no default property' errors. I'm starting to give up trying to find the right syntax. I guess I could also create a vb object, wrap everything up and set my default properties, but it seems there should be an easier way. Am I missing something here?

Thanks
I'm getting this error when I try to create a Case Comment via the API

Unable to create/update fields: CreatedById. Please check the security settings of this field and verify that it is read/write for your profile.:

I'm handling the portion that logs into Salesforce with an Admin user, but trying provide functionality to allow other users that can successfully login to the selfservice user portion to add comments. So the CreatedById that I'm sending is that of the self service user, not the person that I've used for the login/session stuff.

Will I need to try to login and set the session for a self-service user or something?

Please advise,

Joe
I don't know if this is the right place to post this question, but I've been to 2 CRM Success events and I haven't been able to get a good solid answer to this question, so I'm hoping that somebody on the board will know.

I'm curious to know what the rules/structure/process will be for using the AppExchange?

I understand the part about partners/vendors being able to put applications out there that everyone can see, demo, purchase, etc. They also have a process that they must go through to become a vendor/partner and during that time, their application gets tested and verified by Salesforce.

I also understand the part about individual developers being able to put their applications out there and implement it at different customer sites, and allow specific customers to use & deploy that code.

What I don't understand is whether or not individual developers can put applications out on the AppExchange that everyone can see, demo, purchase, deploy, etc, just like a vendor/partner? Will there be a process for getting applications approved, or will you have to become a partner/vendor? This area seems to fuzzy to the people (mostly SE's) that I've asked...
I need to know how to describe the layout of the Self Service 'Log a Case' page. Has anyone had to do this, or know where this information is stored? I can't seem to find it anywhere using Sforce Explorer...
This kicks butt. Thanks much!
have tried:

var deleteObj = new Array();
var qr = sforceClient.Query("Id MyTable WHERE Id = '" + myId + "'");
var _item = qr.records[0];
_item.set("Id", qr.records[0].id);

deleteObj.push(_item);
var sr = sforceClient.Delete(deleteObj);

which is not right. What's the syntax for deleting? I looked at the .Net partner examples to try to get some direction, but the delete example in there doesn't help much...
So,

When I do this:

var cm = new DynaBean("CampaignMember");
cm.set("CampaignId", "foo");

everything's just peachy, but when I add in an underscore:

var cm = new DynaBean("CampaignMember");
cm.set("Campaign_Parent_Id__c", "foo");

I get this javascript error:

Line:111
Char:3
Error: Exception Thrown and not Caught
Code:0
URL: https://na1.salesforce.com/servlet/servlet.Integration?lid=01N300000000BwA&eid=a0130000001LClI&enc=UTF-8

Weird, eh?
I was curious to know how you've gone about creating your custom object with a parent-child relationship? I was trying to do something similar, but cannot find an easy way to create the table that I need. Basically, I need to extend the capabilities of the current Product tab. I've created a new custom object for Categories, and within that Categories tab, I need to be able to create an unlimited amount of subcategories.

When I do this with an RDBMS, I tend to just create a table like this:

Category
-----------
Id
Parent_Id

If the Parent_Id in null, it's a top-level category, otherwise, the parent_Id is just an id from the same table. I thought I'd just be able to create a table and add a relationship to itself, but I do not see the Category object in my selections - only the standard Sforce Tabs. Is there something else I should be trying?
I'm kind of at a loss with this one. I understand the concepts for updating regular fields in salesforce with the partner wsdl (accounts, contacts & the like), but I'm not sure how I'm going to go about updating the password for a selfservice user?

I've described the object, and there's no password field. Ditto for looking at it in Sforce Explorer. Ditto for the contact object. I tried this, but it didn't work:

Dim updatePwd As Sforce_Pwd.sObject = New Sforce_Pwd.sObject
updatePwd.Id = strSSID
updatePwd.Any = New System.Xml.XmlElement() {GetNewXmlElement("Password", strNewPassword)}

updatePwd.type = "SelfServiceUser"

strSSID is the id of the SelfServiceUser
strNewPassword is the password I'm trying to send in there.

Can this be done with the Partner WSDL?

Couldn't find any docs on this and it's been stuck in the back of my brain for a couple of days, so I thought I'd ask you all.

What are the 3 extra letters at the end of id fields used for?

Example:

Sforce Explorer shows me this for one of my case ids: 50030000000rOxrAAE

The id that it actually uses is 50030000000rOxr

So, what's that "AAE" for?

K, so....

I created a contact, made him a self-service user, everything was great.

I deactivated the self-service user and then deleted the contact. Things were pretty good.

I created a new contact with the same information. It got a different ContactId. Perfect.

I made the new contact a self-service user with the same info......problems.

When I query the self-service user object by username via the api, I get back the ContactId for the deleted Self-Service User.

I can probably just get the last result (I'm actually using the partner wsdl) in that set of queryresults, but I'd really like to permanently delete the orphaned Self-service user information from Salesforce. Is there an easy way to do this?

So, here's my scenario:

I have an application that allows users to create contacts in salesforce. The application uses a System Admin user to connect to Sforce via the API using the Partner WSDL. The contact records seem to have been created correctly. Whenever any users browse to the contact records (from the account), they see all of the information just fine. However, when I run a report to display all of the contacts that the application has created, the only user that has information populated in their report is the user that the API is using to login. Not even other System Admins can see the report contents. What am I missing because it seems pretty straightforward?

Thanks,

Joe
I am building custom Modules for a DotNetNuke portal I am working on, and one of the modules I am working on is using the Web-To-Case servlet. Out current version uses classic ASP to post a form to the servlet using standard form post. Because of the nature of DNN, this cannot be done using a simple form post (since cannot have 2 forms on the same page), so I am using the WebClient class, encoding the form variables in UTF-8, and then posting the values to the servlet. This all executes fine, no errors, and I get a response back from the Servlet stating there were no errors.... but the case never shows up in SalesForce, and I have not found any way to tell if it actually works.

Sample of my code:

Dim formPostData As String = ""
For Each postKey As String In Request.Form
Dim postValue As String = Request.Form(postKey)
formPostData = (formPostData + String.Format("&{0}={1}", postKey, postValue))
Next

Dim client As WebClient = New WebClient
client.Headers.Add("Content-Type", "text/html;charset=UTF-8")
Dim postByteArray() As Byte = Encoding.UTF8.GetBytes(formPostData)
Dim responseArray() As Byte = client.UploadData("http://www.salesforce.com/servlet/servlet.WebToCase?encoding=UTF-8", "POST", postByteArray)
Dim response As String = Encoding.ASCII.GetString(responseArray)

Select Case (response)
'Do something with the response
End Select

Is there something I am missing? The form fields that I pass are the same as are in the ASP version, so I am unsure what is going on, or how to tell if there actually is an error.
I've got a customer with professional edition that needs a little custom work, and I'm not sure how to get started without access to the API. Is there any scontrol documentation out there that demonstrates stuff like getting a list of all of the prospects?
Hi,
I have what appears to be a rather straightforward task but since I'm new to both .NET Web development and salesforce.com, I figured I'd ask before I get started.

We are creating a Web application that needs to show users a list of Salesforce Opportunities and allow them to make a selection. The selection will be stored in our own SQL Server tables along with other non salesforce related data that is entered on the screen.

Is this doable? From what I am reading I need to create and download the enterprise.wsdl. I also saw sample applications but wasn't sure which one was most appropriate for my needs. We are using vb.NET and Visual Studio 2003 Enterprise edition for our development.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Hmm, so here's my problem:

When a self service user comes into my client's customer portal, then I need to display all of the cases that are related to that user's account. My problem is performance. Here's the specific scenario:

SS logs in, I get their contact id and account id. Store it in the session.

The user hits the cases page. Cases are connected to accounts by ContactId. So I take the Account Id and grab all the contacts for an account. There are like 500 contacts for some of these guys. I then proceed to send off a whole bunch of API calls for each contactId. I pursued adding a whole bunch of "or ContactId='00000000AAA'" clauses to the end of the SOQL statement, and that helped alot, although, you have to know your SOQL query size limits and plan accordingly.

What I really wanted to be able to do is this this, though:

SELECT Id
FROM Case c
INNER JOIN Contact con ON con.ContactId = c.Id
INNER JOIN Account acct ON c.AccountId = acct.Id
WHERE acct.Id = 'UsersAccountId'

I know I can do this with dbamp (via a linked server) and the openaccess data provider (though it's $999 for my Win 2k3 server). What I want to know is can I just as easily work with the objects in the Sforce Office Toolkit?

I'm not really familiar with toolkit, but when I play around with it in VB.Net, I get a lot of 'Cannot be indexed because of no default property' errors. I'm starting to give up trying to find the right syntax. I guess I could also create a vb object, wrap everything up and set my default properties, but it seems there should be an easier way. Am I missing something here?

Thanks
I've installed Visual Studio .NET Academic 2003, and I'm wondering how to convert the AspSample web that I downloaded from sforce.com into a "Solution Project" that I can work on in Visual Studio .NET Academic. I've tried creating a new "Solution Project" in VS.NET Academic, and then creating new files and then copying over the code from the corresponding files from AspSample, but I keep getting errors. So I'm wondering if there is a way to convert the entire AspSample web into a "Solution Project"? Or is there another sample that I can download from sforce.com that would download a "Solution Project" that would have the same types of files as in AspSample (especially the "Contacts.aspx" file). Any guidance that you can provide would be appreciated. Thanks. Joel
  • January 15, 2006
I'm getting this error when I try to create a Case Comment via the API

Unable to create/update fields: CreatedById. Please check the security settings of this field and verify that it is read/write for your profile.:

I'm handling the portion that logs into Salesforce with an Admin user, but trying provide functionality to allow other users that can successfully login to the selfservice user portion to add comments. So the CreatedById that I'm sending is that of the self service user, not the person that I've used for the login/session stuff.

Will I need to try to login and set the session for a self-service user or something?

Please advise,

Joe
How can I update "Email_Opt_out" field of "Contact" object?
I need to create or update a contact object using web service.
The field name I am looking for should be "HasOptedOutOfEmail". But I cannot find this field in the web service object and wsdl file.

Thanks.
  • November 22, 2005
I have a link on the Opportunites section that opens an ASP.net page on our side. It is taking about 15 seconds to load. Is there a way to display a "Loading..." message so the user knows that something is happening and that the page is not locked?

Thanks,

Rhonda
Does anyone know of the Salesforce Consulting Resources in the Austin Area?

Thanks
This kicks butt. Thanks much!
have tried:

var deleteObj = new Array();
var qr = sforceClient.Query("Id MyTable WHERE Id = '" + myId + "'");
var _item = qr.records[0];
_item.set("Id", qr.records[0].id);

deleteObj.push(_item);
var sr = sforceClient.Delete(deleteObj);

which is not right. What's the syntax for deleting? I looked at the .Net partner examples to try to get some direction, but the delete example in there doesn't help much...
Can I use JSP code in scontrols?
  • October 26, 2005
Does someone have some way (code) to remove the "Powered by salesforce.com" logo from the self-service portal page? We desperatly need to get rid of that logo on our customer facing web portal.

Thanks