• Member since 2005

• Chatter
    Feed
    Best Answers
    Likes Given
    Questions
    Replies

Hi everyone,

We recently have updated our Enterprise WSDL to expose a newly added field from the SalesForce GUI. Once we updated the WSDL on a ASP.Net 2.0 application.We cannot use the following pattern to trap errors anymore.

Code:

Binding is defined in the partial class declaration of the page as the following:

Private binding As sforce.SforceService

and is later referenced in the following code in a function:

Dim SaveResult() As sforce.SaveResult
                If hdContactID.Value <> "" Then
                    Try
                        If binding Is Nothing Then
                            Response.Write("Binding nothing")
                        Else
                            Response.Write("Binding something: " & binding.Timeout.ToString)
                        End If
                        If contactrecords Is Nothing Then
                            Response.Write("contactrecords nothing")
                        Else
                            Response.Write("<LI>" & contactrecords(0).Id)
                        End If
                        SaveResult = binding.update(contactrecords)
                    Catch ex2 As Exception
                        SqlHelper.ExecuteNonQuery(ConfigurationManager.AppSettings("connStrErrorLog"), "SF_WebAppLogsInsert", "Binding - update", ex2.Message.ToString, "EditContact.vb", "Binding.update", "", "", "Update Contact", -1)
                        Response.Write("<font color=green><LI>Error!: " & ex2.ToString)
                        Exit Sub
                    End Try

Dim upderr As sforce.Error 
                    If Not SaveResult Is Nothing Then
                        upderr = SaveResult(0).errors(0)
                    Else
                        Exit Sub
                    End If

The ASP.Net 2.0 error is occuring at upderr = SaveResult(0).errors(0) with an 'Object reference not set to an instance of an object' error.

We have used this exact same code without issue before the change to the most recent Enterprise WSDL change.

Does anyone have an idea as to why this error is occuring now?

Thanks!

Hi,

I need a mechanism to alert a user if certain fields (website, phone, address) on the Account object have changed. I'm looking at 3 methods:

1. Enable field tracking (turns out, not possible on standard fields)
2. Use workflow email alert - this would be preferable. However, I can only see how to set a trigger based on a static value i.e "website is not blank" - can't see how to do "website is not what it used to be". Does anyone know how to accomplish this?

3. If (2) fails, I can create a comparison table and do the job using DBAmp, but would really prefer to use option 2, since it requires less network resources and ongoing maintenance.

Thanks!
Rozanne
Hi,

Custom Object: Bulk Email For Followup Survey

We use the FeedbackServer tool for surveys, and would like to

1. Build two list boxes (Available, and Selected), populated with all the attendees (custom object) for that event (custom object).  All attendees to into the Selected box, by default
2. Select a specific email template from the Salesforce folders (template name can be hard coded)
3. Copy the content of the template (template has a link to survey, with some mail merge fields specific to the user, and the attendee (i.e. id and email))

User will be able to remove attendees from the selected box, and edit the template content that was copied.

When user hits "Send Invite", the edited content will be emailed to each attendee and logged.

Resources:
- Bulk Email Task module has an example of the attendee selection code.

Please send me a message with an estimate (hours, dollars) for consideration if you would like to code this s-control.

Thanks
Allow me to vent for a moment ... I need to hook up my eclipse install with my Salesforce s-controls again, because I had to reinstall.

I search around. Finally I locate the instructions (or what I think will be the instructions), but they are now on the ADN wiki - password protected. I am asked to log in (and why must I log into different sites with my salesforce login and password. This doesn't feel secure). I gives an error when I try to log in:

Database errorA database query syntax error has occurred. This may indicate a bug in the software. The last attempted database query was:
(SQL query hidden)
from within function "User::addToDatabase". MySQL returned error "1062: Duplicate entry 'System Admin (Again Again)' for key 2 (localhost)".

I cannot register with another account because it already has my email address registered.

Deadline or no deadline, I can't seem to get to this information. Why is the eclipse install instructions hidden in a password protected area? Why must I compromise my org's salesforce login? Why (sob, sob, sob) is such a simple task so very very frustrating??
Hi,

Is there a way I can query (via API or in SF directly, I don't mind) which reports make use of a specific custom field? I want to phase out a custom field and want to determine what the impact would be if I did so.

Thanks
Rozanne

Hi,

I have a dashboard linking to a number of MIN/MAX/Avg reports that report across the org. I want to filter this so each RSM will see his own records only, however, the RSMs are not the account record owners and therefore the "My Records" filter won't work.

Is there any way I can work around this? The custom field contains the name of the RSM, which is the same as his SF Fullname, so this might be a helpful way to make a connection.

Thanks!
Tinky
Hi,

I'm building a custom view of sorts, of a Case, using an s-control. I'm listing the attachments and want to provide a link to the attachments.

The query looks as follows:

var result = sforce.connection.query("Select Name, Id, Parent.Name, Parent.Id, ParentId FROM Attachment Where Parent.Name = '"+ CaseId +"'");

I construct a string like this:

output += "<tr><td><a target=new href=https://nas4.salesforce.com/"+record.Id +">"+ record.Name + "</a></td></tr>"

However, the Id returned is slightly different from the attachment's actual Id. I suspect it's a relationship Id of sorts. For example, if the recordId is actually OOP300000VWTIEA4 (obtained by just doing a Select Id from Attachment where ParentId = xxx), the Id returned by my join query is  OOP300000WDoIEAC.

What must I do to my join query to get the actual Id for the attachment? I'd need either some change to the query, or maybe there's a different method to open the attachment (would be very interested if someone could tell me a way to open attachment directly, without directing to the attachment detail page first).

Thanks

Rozanne

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out what I can/can't do without Enterprise Edition. Our users all have Salesforce licenses - no Enterprise licenses.

Are S-controls/ajax available to "standard" users, and APEX to Enterprise users?

Not sure what the boundaries are.
Hi,

I'm looking to implement a new page/view/integrated report and I'm not sure whether I should be going with an S-Control or Apex Code.  I have limited experience with S-Controls as they were before the winter release (have written some to display data from different recordsets and update this).

In theory, I could create this page as a back-end report (have some replication in place and user SQL reporting services), but I don't want to burden my server with replicating the different objects at a very high frequency. This is why I'd like to create this solution inside Salesforce.

The scenario: need to display selected data for a custom object related to a case. Basically, I have case, account, check requests (related to case) and complaints (related to case). For a given check request, I will want to show some case info, some account info, the complaints for the parent case, and a list of the attachments for the parent case.

I think I can do this with an s-control - a bunch of queries and displays. However, I think the s-control will be a little slow. My other s-controls got slow if I was pulling 3 or 4 different queries. Also not sure if I'll run into any problems with joins.

Not having done any APEX coding, I'm not sure if it's intended for a problem like this. Can it do the same thing as the s-control would, but faster?

I'll appreciate any guidance you can give.

Thanks
Rozanne
Hi,

I've started writing an s-control that will be launched as a url link from a custom object. It takes the custom object ID, and looks up a contact ID (contact ID is stored with the custom object).

I have this part working - I now need to take this contactID, and make the s-control redirect to a new case page, and insert the relevant contact.  Two questions:

1. How do I achieve the redirect? I only know how to make an s-control display or update data - not look up and then open another form in its own window.

2. If my contactID xxxxxxx is for John Smith - and there are multiple John Smith's in the system, how do I give this to the Case page? I can put "John Smith" into the contact field on the case, but then it will ask the user to select the correct John Smith. If I put a contact ID in there, SF doesn't recognize it. What would the correct thing be to do?

Thanks!
Hi,

I'm wanting to send a weekly "How-To" email to our users, reminding them of features or pointing out new features. Many of these will be specific to our configuration, but some will be standard items. I could pick through the help, etc. and put them together but it seems like quite a standard requiment -  was wondering if there is such a community resource somewhere - or maybe we can start one somewhere.

Ideally, it would be short and sweet, and cover things like searching, using help, merging contacts, etc. It would typically link to an expanded version (possibly an existing help topic or solution in SF, to reinforce this resource to them)

Thanks
Rozanne
Hi,

Is there a way I can grant view/edit access to selected records only, for a specific profile? We have a small customer club, and I want to grant the club administrators view access to club members, and then allow them to manipulate a custom object hooked to these records.

I can't change the recordtype for the selection of records  - I would have to filter on criteria such as "is club member".

Thanks,
Rozanne

I have an assignment rule for cases; but want to add a different assignment rule based on different criteria - i.e. if it's a product case - give it to someone in the products department, if it's a service case, give it to someone in the service department,

It says I can only have one assignment rule active at a time, which is fine - is there a way I can specify more criteria, so it it fails the test for the first set of criteria, it can move along and test against the second set?

It gives an option to  Set the order in which this rule entry will be processed which makes me think this must be possible. What am I missing?

Thanks
Rozanne
Is it possible to report on all accounts / contacts belonging where the user status of the account owner is inactive? I want to add such a report to the Adoption/ Data Quality dashboard, to help flag records that need attention.

Thanks!
Rozanne
Hi,

We have different sets of customers, and I'd like to enable the self service, but don't want to confuse one set of customers (i.e. dealers) with end users. They have completely different needs.

Our cases are broken into different record types that are handled internally by different departments/groups. Would it be possible to offer self service on different portals, with solutions, etc filtered for the relevant case type?

Thanks

Message Edited by Again Again on 10-03-2006 08:03 AM

We've integrated our DNN (DotNetNuke) portal with Salesforce quite successfully using DBAmp. I import all my DNN users into SF, and update key fields and custom objects in SF with this info through stored procedures.

I'd love to use the Self Service within my DNN portal also, since we've started logging some of our web queries as SF cases, but am unsure how the password sharing would work. I want my users to have one login and password (their existing DNN username and password), and the Self Service portal lets them log in with their email address and a new password it creates.

Any suggestions for how I can set up Self Service to use my portal's login credentials, or integrate it with an existing security context?

Thanks
Rozanne
Hi,

Don't know if I'm missing something - is it possible to report on attachment stats - i.e. number of attachments by users, or sum attachment sizes by filetype, etc?

I can query the attachments via the Explorer, would like to make some reports available but don't see attachments in the SF reporting interface, where one chooses report type options anywhere.

Longer-term where I'm going with this, if anyone's seen a solution - I'd like to see something that will search for and download large pdf docs or images, resize them, and upload them again. I'm finding our users don't typically compress their documents and fear that it will get out of hand pretty soon - a solution like that would be very useful.  I'm evaluating CVision's pdf compressor and it's reducing the filesizes of most docs to less than half the original size. It can be run on entire folders - so if one downloaded offending docs, ran this tool and re-uploaded them, that would save time for the users and server space.
Hi,

I need to report on all accounts of a certain account type, with no contacts of a certain markup. If I were constructing a SQL query, I'd say something like

select account.accountname
where
Recordtype  = 'xxx'
AND ID NOT IN (select AccountID FROM Contact WHERE Contact.Status = 'yyy')

How can this be done in SalesForce / with a related tool?

Thanks!
Tinkylou

Hi everyone,

We recently have updated our Enterprise WSDL to expose a newly added field from the SalesForce GUI. Once we updated the WSDL on a ASP.Net 2.0 application.We cannot use the following pattern to trap errors anymore.

Code:

Binding is defined in the partial class declaration of the page as the following:

Private binding As sforce.SforceService

and is later referenced in the following code in a function:

Dim SaveResult() As sforce.SaveResult
                If hdContactID.Value <> "" Then
                    Try
                        If binding Is Nothing Then
                            Response.Write("Binding nothing")
                        Else
                            Response.Write("Binding something: " & binding.Timeout.ToString)
                        End If
                        If contactrecords Is Nothing Then
                            Response.Write("contactrecords nothing")
                        Else
                            Response.Write("<LI>" & contactrecords(0).Id)
                        End If
                        SaveResult = binding.update(contactrecords)
                    Catch ex2 As Exception
                        SqlHelper.ExecuteNonQuery(ConfigurationManager.AppSettings("connStrErrorLog"), "SF_WebAppLogsInsert", "Binding - update", ex2.Message.ToString, "EditContact.vb", "Binding.update", "", "", "Update Contact", -1)
                        Response.Write("<font color=green><LI>Error!: " & ex2.ToString)
                        Exit Sub
                    End Try

Dim upderr As sforce.Error 
                    If Not SaveResult Is Nothing Then
                        upderr = SaveResult(0).errors(0)
                    Else
                        Exit Sub
                    End If

The ASP.Net 2.0 error is occuring at upderr = SaveResult(0).errors(0) with an 'Object reference not set to an instance of an object' error.

We have used this exact same code without issue before the change to the most recent Enterprise WSDL change.

Does anyone have an idea as to why this error is occuring now?

Thanks!

Hi,

Custom Object: Bulk Email For Followup Survey

We use the FeedbackServer tool for surveys, and would like to

1. Build two list boxes (Available, and Selected), populated with all the attendees (custom object) for that event (custom object).  All attendees to into the Selected box, by default
2. Select a specific email template from the Salesforce folders (template name can be hard coded)
3. Copy the content of the template (template has a link to survey, with some mail merge fields specific to the user, and the attendee (i.e. id and email))

User will be able to remove attendees from the selected box, and edit the template content that was copied.

When user hits "Send Invite", the edited content will be emailed to each attendee and logged.

Resources:
- Bulk Email Task module has an example of the attendee selection code.

Please send me a message with an estimate (hours, dollars) for consideration if you would like to code this s-control.

Thanks
Allow me to vent for a moment ... I need to hook up my eclipse install with my Salesforce s-controls again, because I had to reinstall.

I search around. Finally I locate the instructions (or what I think will be the instructions), but they are now on the ADN wiki - password protected. I am asked to log in (and why must I log into different sites with my salesforce login and password. This doesn't feel secure). I gives an error when I try to log in:

Database errorA database query syntax error has occurred. This may indicate a bug in the software. The last attempted database query was:
(SQL query hidden)
from within function "User::addToDatabase". MySQL returned error "1062: Duplicate entry 'System Admin (Again Again)' for key 2 (localhost)".

I cannot register with another account because it already has my email address registered.

Deadline or no deadline, I can't seem to get to this information. Why is the eclipse install instructions hidden in a password protected area? Why must I compromise my org's salesforce login? Why (sob, sob, sob) is such a simple task so very very frustrating??
Hi,

I've rather run in to an unique scheme of things here.
I need my SF to periodically query an external MySQL DB and pull data from the MySQL DB and push it in to SF. Can someone guide me through this with some initial ideas?

Can a workflow achieve this or maybe an s-control that auto-runs periodically?
Thanks, very much.
Hi,

I'm building a custom view of sorts, of a Case, using an s-control. I'm listing the attachments and want to provide a link to the attachments.

The query looks as follows:

var result = sforce.connection.query("Select Name, Id, Parent.Name, Parent.Id, ParentId FROM Attachment Where Parent.Name = '"+ CaseId +"'");

I construct a string like this:

output += "<tr><td><a target=new href=https://nas4.salesforce.com/"+record.Id +">"+ record.Name + "</a></td></tr>"

However, the Id returned is slightly different from the attachment's actual Id. I suspect it's a relationship Id of sorts. For example, if the recordId is actually OOP300000VWTIEA4 (obtained by just doing a Select Id from Attachment where ParentId = xxx), the Id returned by my join query is  OOP300000WDoIEAC.

What must I do to my join query to get the actual Id for the attachment? I'd need either some change to the query, or maybe there's a different method to open the attachment (would be very interested if someone could tell me a way to open attachment directly, without directing to the attachment detail page first).

Thanks

Rozanne

How can I structure a statement so that I can pull data from fields in 3 different custom objects which have a lookup relationship with 1 custom object?  Also, once I do that, how can I hold that dataset and do calculations against it before presenting the results on an scontrol?

Any help is greatly appreciated...
Hi,

I'm looking to implement a new page/view/integrated report and I'm not sure whether I should be going with an S-Control or Apex Code.  I have limited experience with S-Controls as they were before the winter release (have written some to display data from different recordsets and update this).

In theory, I could create this page as a back-end report (have some replication in place and user SQL reporting services), but I don't want to burden my server with replicating the different objects at a very high frequency. This is why I'd like to create this solution inside Salesforce.

The scenario: need to display selected data for a custom object related to a case. Basically, I have case, account, check requests (related to case) and complaints (related to case). For a given check request, I will want to show some case info, some account info, the complaints for the parent case, and a list of the attachments for the parent case.

I think I can do this with an s-control - a bunch of queries and displays. However, I think the s-control will be a little slow. My other s-controls got slow if I was pulling 3 or 4 different queries. Also not sure if I'll run into any problems with joins.

Not having done any APEX coding, I'm not sure if it's intended for a problem like this. Can it do the same thing as the s-control would, but faster?

I'll appreciate any guidance you can give.

Thanks
Rozanne
Hi Everyone,

Is there a way to add the ability to send (email) notification when information is modified on a page? Either at the field or record level?

Ideally, this would be at the record level, so that, for example, the Save button is pressed, an email notification could be sent summarizing the changes. As a relative newbie to Salesforce, I don't know of any way to attach an action to the Send button. I also wonder if there is anything I could do related to the "History Tracking" option.

At the field level, I have looked at Formulas - it would be useful if I could, for example, use the HYPERLINK function on the LHS of an IF to 'call' a server-side script that sends an email. But this is not a total solution.

I am not completely familiar with sControls, but could I use one in any way to accomplish this objective?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Colin Goldberg
  • January 25, 2006
How can I remove the "Powered by Salesforce" footers?

I want to use a custom link that creates a new record (custom object) with fields populated.  Does anyone have a sample of code that does something similar?  I am able to update existing records using code from this board, but I don't know how to create a new one.

Thanks,

Katie