• 0 Points
  • Member since 2005

• Chatter
    Feed
    Best Answers
    Likes Given
    Questions
    Replies
I am posting this message anew because I haven't yet found a simple, concise answer to what I see as a central issue. We are an email service provider looking to integrate with salesforce. After doing extensive reading I have come to the following conclusions, please correct me if I'm wrong:

1) You can use the Ajax toolkit to manipulate quite a bit of information within the salesforce environment, but it is virtually impossible to use as an integration platform with 3rd party sites due to various browser security issues. I can't, for example, use ajax to take a selected set of contacts from salesforce.com and use them to create a mailing on our site because at the very minimum users will receive a security warning about posting to a third-party site.

2) The web services/soap integration piece is only available to Enterprise customers. So if I come up with an App that exchanges data on the backend to get around the limitations of #1, then my application will only be available to Enterprise customers.

From what I can see these are the two primary methods for integrating third-party applications with Salesforce. As an example of something we might like to be able to do, we'd like salesforce users to be able to select a group of contacts and then initiate a mailing through our interface, embedded inside salesforce.com. Most importantly, we would like this feature to work for our current customers who are using the Professional edition of salesforce.com.

Please let me know your thoughts--thanks in advance for your help!

Matt
I am posting this message anew because I haven't yet found a simple, concise answer to what I see as a central issue. We are an email service provider looking to integrate with salesforce. After doing extensive reading I have come to the following conclusions, please correct me if I'm wrong:

1) You can use the Ajax toolkit to manipulate quite a bit of information within the salesforce environment, but it is virtually impossible to use as an integration platform with 3rd party sites due to various browser security issues. I can't, for example, use ajax to take a selected set of contacts from salesforce.com and use them to create a mailing on our site because at the very minimum users will receive a security warning about posting to a third-party site.

2) The web services/soap integration piece is only available to Enterprise customers. So if I come up with an App that exchanges data on the backend to get around the limitations of #1, then my application will only be available to Enterprise customers.

From what I can see these are the two primary methods for integrating third-party applications with Salesforce. As an example of something we might like to be able to do, we'd like salesforce users to be able to select a group of contacts and then initiate a mailing through our interface, embedded inside salesforce.com. Most importantly, we would like this feature to work for our current customers who are using the Professional edition of salesforce.com.

Please let me know your thoughts--thanks in advance for your help!

Matt
I am currently creating a custom application to be deployed through appexchange. My question is as follows:

I have an S-Control that receives user input , and I would like to save the information that the user has entered. I know there are a couple of posibilities.

1. Use a soap call through Javascript to a server and save the information in my servers.
2. Email the information to me so that I can enter it to Sales Force.

The reason for saving the user information is that I also want to create another S-Control where the user can come back and check on the status of their inquiry. I know this second S-Control will have to interact with an external server.

Can anyone offer any help?
  • December 01, 2005