• 15 Points
  • Member since 2008

• Chatter
    Feed
    Best Answers
    Likes Given
    Questions
    Replies
Opportunity Product Record type does not exist. I don't know Apex. I need an opportunity Product Record type, could apex solve my problem?
I just want to know if is possible.
We are a service based company. When we sell a service (product) we can sell it at a Base Fee, Contingent Fee, or Hourly fee. We also have a couple of standard prices. The Contingent fee model is a calculator in which the sales person has to enter client spend, how much of spend the client will save and then how much of that savings we get as our fee. We could also have a base fee.

For example, we could charge a client $20,000 to do data collection and analysis. This could be a Base Fee (one time fee) and we would recognize our revenue on Nov 1 2008. Then we could also have a contingent fee based on the savings. If we save the client 100,000 a month (calculated by taking client monthly spend * savings %) and we get 20% of that, we would get $20,000 revenue. This revenue may not start until May 2009 and would go for 12 months.

I want to be able to utilize forecasting, quotas and products. So, I create a product called Base fee, one called contingent fee and one called hourly fee. (we do re-sale products as well, so I would have some standard product costs). I want the sales rep to create an opportunity for Company ABC. Maybe this is a packaging sourcing opportunity where we will save the manufacturer (our client) money on their packaging. The sales rep would add a base fee product to the opportunity and would also add a contingent fee product to the opportunity. They would have to be separate since they both have different revenue schedules.

The problem is, that when they add 'Base Fee'  product I only want them to see 'Base Fee' fields. When they add 'Contingent' Fee product, I only want them to see Contingent fields. We will possibly have more complex models built as well. I can't have one pagelayout for Opportunity product with Base Fee section, Contingent Fee section, hourly fee section, and other section and rely on our sales rep to fill out just the Base fee portion when adding the base fee product and just the contingent portion when adding the contingent product.

I NEED a record type by Opportunity, but from what I see on the blogs it doesn't exist.

Any ideas on how to get around this?

HI,
I don't know Apex (I'm starting to learn)

I have a custom object called Product menu (I had to customize this because we sell services and our pricing is so unique I couldn't use products or price books).

Each Product instance is tied to an Opportunity, so an opportunity could have 1 to many Products.

Within each Product I have Hourly fee, Sourcing fee and Base fee by year, so I have 2008 Hourly fee, 2009 Hourly fee, 2010 Hourly fee, 2008 base fee etc....

Since an opportunity can have more than  1 product, I created a field in Opportunity called 2008 Total deal value, 2009 Total Deal Value etc

I want the 2008 Total deal value in Opportunity to add up all the 2008 Total deal values from the products. So, if an opportunity has 4 products, it would add the 2008 Total deal value from each of the products.

Each Product is linked to an opportunity, so I should be able to do this. I tried to create a workflow on the Opportunity object, but it only let me create a workflow based on fields within Opportunites. I tried to do a formula field, but it only allowed me to do this for Opportunity fields. I want to add up the results from Products and put it into the Opportunity field

Can Apex handle this? If so, is there simple code I could use?
    Help!
All we sell our services, we don't have SKU's.
We have Hourly fees, base fees and contingent fees.

We have an account and then an opportunity and within an opportunity, we have multiple stages.
1) The Close date is requried (even at the beginning stage of an opportunity). I don't want a close date to appear until the status = Closed
2) The 'Products' object seems to be for actual products only. We could have an opportunity with all three types of fees. The price structure needs to be flexible. So.. I built a custom object that holds all my pricing calculators for each type of service we offer. I built an hourly fee calculator, a base fee calculator and a contingency fee calculator. I linked it to an opportunity. So, we can have 1 opportunity with 5-6 different 'Services' attached.

One issue I'm having is that we do sourcing events. When the sales person closes the deal, we may not see revenue for 6 months. Therefore, in my calcultor  I had to add a revenue start date. The revenue start date is the date we want to see in the pipeline, NOT the close date, but the close date is required and I can't change it!

The other issue I'm having is that they don't allow cross-object workflow. I want to have a Total deal value for an opportunity, so I want to add a field to opportunity and call it 'Total deal vaule' and have it add up all the fields from the 5-6 different services. I can't do this.

When I try to do custom reporting in the subtotal report format, I"m limited to 5 custom fields only. When I try to do work-arounds with formulas I'm limited to 5,000 characters. So when I try to add up Hourly fee+ Base fee+ contingent fee (because they each contain formulas) I'm hitting the 5,000 character limit,.

The forecasting module doesn't work with custom objects, so I can't use forecasting.

Is salesforce deisgned for service oriented businesses? Is there anyone else out there experiencing this issue?:
Hi,

First, the scenario:

We want to be able to group accounts, opportunities, leads and contacts by region. For simplicity let's only focus on the account. Here is my first attempt which kept us going for some time (but will very soon not be enough):

• Create custom region field on account of type formula
  • Create huge formula that asks if ownerid = "ukRepOwnerId" then region = "UK" or if ownerid = "usRepOwnerId" then region = "US" else region = "Scandinavia"
Now, this worked fine for some time. However, it has 2 major flaws:

1. It needs updating every time we add a new user
  2. With enough users the formula grows too big for SFDC to handle (it basically exceeds the limit of allowed characters)
So, I thought I could just create a custom field on the user object (not remembering I had already tried this some time back :smileyindifferent). Creating the field is not a problem but accessing the field from e.g. a formula field on account seems to be a big problem. I only seem to be able to access the usual account fields and various information about the user that is currently logged in.

Is there some way for me (e.g. using triggers) to achieve this?

/Søren Nødskov Hansen
I need to create a roll-up summary field that looks at a date field on the Opportunity page.  I'd like to have the criteria read:  Show Closing Date greater than TODAY.

Unfortunately, it won't allow me to use TODAY.

Anyone know of a work around to this?

My goal is to find Accounts that do not have future opportunities.

Thank you.
Hi all,

On our opportunity object we have a formula field called "Monthly value" which returns a currency. The formula looks like this (Contract_length_mth__c is a picklist):

Amount  /  VALUE(CASE(Contract_length_mth__c, "1", "1", "3", "3", "6", "6", "9", "9", "12", "12", "15", "15", "18", "18", "21", "21","24", "24", "36", "36", "0"))

Now, on our account object I want to create a field called "Monthly value total" which is a sum of the field above for a certain set of opportunities defined by a filter. According to SFDC's Help & Training section that should be possible:

"Roll-up summary fields can calculate the values of formula fields if they do not contain functions that automatically derive values on the fly, such as NOW or TODAY."

My formula above does not (to my knowledge) use any automatically generated values. However, when creating the roll-up summary field on account and selecting opportunity as the object to summarize (using SUM) only 4 values appear for me to select and none of them is my formula field Monthly value.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

/Søren Nødskov Hansen
HI,
I don't know Apex (I'm starting to learn)

I have a custom object called Product menu (I had to customize this because we sell services and our pricing is so unique I couldn't use products or price books).

Each Product instance is tied to an Opportunity, so an opportunity could have 1 to many Products.

Within each Product I have Hourly fee, Sourcing fee and Base fee by year, so I have 2008 Hourly fee, 2009 Hourly fee, 2010 Hourly fee, 2008 base fee etc....

Since an opportunity can have more than  1 product, I created a field in Opportunity called 2008 Total deal value, 2009 Total Deal Value etc

I want the 2008 Total deal value in Opportunity to add up all the 2008 Total deal values from the products. So, if an opportunity has 4 products, it would add the 2008 Total deal value from each of the products.

Each Product is linked to an opportunity, so I should be able to do this. I tried to create a workflow on the Opportunity object, but it only let me create a workflow based on fields within Opportunites. I tried to do a formula field, but it only allowed me to do this for Opportunity fields. I want to add up the results from Products and put it into the Opportunity field

Can Apex handle this? If so, is there simple code I could use?
I am trying to figure out a way to create a lookup that will return a 4 letter code for a description field.
For example, we have a bunch of Majors in a picklist (History, Biology, Chemistry) that have corresponding codes (HIST, BIOL, CHEM). What I would like to do is take the value of the picklist and translate it to the corresponding 4 letter code so we can use the code to do the data exchange. The Salesforce user needs to choose from a picklist of "human readable" descriptions, but the data needs to be manipulated to the 4 letter code before data exchange.
If anyone has any ideas of examples, I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks,
Jeff
hi, Everyone, where i can set up multiple approvers for my approval process on my custom object?

Is it some setting i need to change in salesforce to enable this function or in the approval process creating wizard?

thanks in advance
  • August 12, 2008
    Help! I'm new to Saleforce and Apex. I just had something happen in our production and I have no control over it. I need to know how to create a trigger based on a date.

Our company launched a Trial Version of a product, the user fills out the form and the Lead goes into Salesforce. I created a field that adds 'x' days onto the create date and that is the expired date calculated field. The indicator = "Y" and when the expired date is reached I want to change Indicator to "N".  All fields (expired date field, and Indicator field) are in Leads.

I don't have time to search all blogs and find the answer. I have never created a trigger before. I created a workflow, but this only seems to work when the record is created or edited, I need something that knows what day it is and then changes the indicator field.

Can anyone help?