• 0 Points
  • Member since 2008

• Chatter
    Feed
    Best Answers
    Likes Given
    Questions
    Replies
I have a VF page with an input field to allow the user to input the value of a custom field on a contact record. I need to lookup the custom field to get the id on this record to then display the contact record. I am using the standard contact controller but can add an extension if I need to look up the custom field. Is there any sample code that anyone has that might give me a jump start on this? I am really looking for suggestions on the fastest method to get the lookup completed since this will be done hundreds if not thousands of times per day and speed is therefore very important.

• November 04, 2008
I have a VF page with an input field to allow the user to input the value of a custom field on a contact record. I need to lookup the custom field to get the id on this record to then display the contact record. I am using the standard contact controller but can add an extension if I need to look up the custom field. Is there any sample code that anyone has that might give me a jump start on this? I am really looking for suggestions on the fastest method to get the lookup completed since this will be done hundreds if not thousands of times per day and speed is therefore very important.

• November 04, 2008
I have a custom object called "Maintenance Window", which includes a start date/time and end date/time for the event.  Typically these are 1-6 hour long events, but the often cross the midnight boundary.  My current project is to map these events on to a calendar -- so that a user can see all the upcoming (or historic) maintenance windows on a monthly calendar, at a glance.  The Maintenance Window detail records and Calendar need to stay in synch, so that if the start or end date/time fields on the Maintenance Window are updated, the calender will be updated to reflect this information, as well.

I've yet to decide where I'm going to map these events -- either to a public calendar in SFDC, a group calendar in Google, or a PHP calendar.  I'm leaning toward the latter, I think.  We're already copying the data over manually to a PHP calendar (it's this manual copy / data duplication that I'm looking to eliminate), and I really like the visual appearance of the PHP calendar (and the ability to control the font colors and details in the PHP Calendar). 

Still, as much as I like the PHP calendar, my preference is to keep everything in one tool -- SFDC.  Less databases / servers to maintain, yeah? 

Have any of you done something like this?  Which of these options (or something completely different) did you go with, and why?  What were your biggest pitfalls and "if I had to do it all again, I would have ..."