• 180 Points
  • Member since 2009

• Chatter
    Feed
    Best Answers
    Likes Given
    Questions
    Replies

Hello, I am developing an application in which I would like to integrate Chatter as an enhancement-- i.e., Chatter would enhance this application's experience, but it isn't required for the main features of this application. Ideally, when an organization does not have Chatter enabled, I would like this application to degrade gracefully and simply not display any of its Chatter features.

I've integrated Chatter into this application using Apex components and classes (from Chatter Combo Pack as a starting point), and it works great when Chatter is enabled. If I disable Chatter in my developer organization, then I receive SalesForce errors which make the application completely unusable. For instance: Dependent class is invalid and needs recompilation: chatterFeed: line 275, column 19: sObject type 'UserFeed' is not supported. Sometimes I get SalesForce.com internal errors instead.

If Chatter is disabled, then I also have issues editing and saving classes which have Chatter-related features with errors such as: Save error: Dependent class is invalid and needs recompilation: chatterfeeditem: line 3, column 13: Invalid type: FeedPost

So my question is, what is the best way to detect if Chatter is enabled for an organization and if it's enabled for an object in that organization? Do I need to describe sObject for every type of Chatter-related object which is used (EntitySubscription, UserFeed, FeedPost, etc.)? Or is there some preferred way to do what I'm describing?

• June 25, 2010

Hi,

This might be very silly to ask but i am facing a small issue , I need a simple information regarding passing the image URL in the apex:image tag.

How can we pass a url or the source to the image. For instance i have an image on my local harddrive how can i make it display for an image button.

please let me know the steps:

I tried storing the image file within the documents section.but unable to access that....

Thanks

I have created a apex trigger in my developer edition and I want to use it in my company's professional edition.

It is my understanding that to do that, I need to create a package and pass a security review. Is there anything else that I need to do (I have created a test class that covers 100%)?

Also, the trigger that I made works on a custom object as well as a built in object (case) with custom fields added. The custom object and fields already exist in my company's professional edition. How will that work? When I tried to use the deploy option in eclipse with the force.com plugin, I noticed that it gave me the choice to remove the action to overwrite the custom objects, but when I created the (unmanaged) package it didn't give me any similar options. Will the package automatically detect if the dependencies already exist or will it overwrite the objects (I would like it to NOT overwrite)? I did not recreate the custom object exactly as it is in my company's instance, just the fields that are needed in the trigger.

Thanks for any help.

Why is it that "Total number of records retrieved by SOQL queries" is:

10,000 - anonymous block, visualforce controller or WSDL method

BUT

500 for RunTests 

?

My code can handle more than 10,000 rows, but my test class fails because tests can only operate within the 500 limit.  Even though my test class does not create more than 500 records, the test class/method seems to operate on the data in the actual org plus the data created in the test class/method.

Please advise.

I have a custom object I am adding to my managed package that I would like installed with the Organization-Wide Default Sharring Setting set to "Private" when the package is installed.  I have the sharing set to Private in the build org and there is APEX code that references the object's __Share object but when I install the object's initial Sharing Setting is Public Read/Write.

NOTE: I am only testing so far with a Beta build of the version that includes this new object.  Do not want to commit to a full release build for fear I will not be able to make the necessary change.

I know that the installer can go and change the Sharing Setting but that is a deployment step I would like to avoid if possible.

• April 05, 2013

I have added a class that implements the InstallHandler interface with an onInstall method but the method is never called when my managed package is installed.  The the testing has been limited to beta builds (don't what it in a release build if it does not work yet and because its global I can't get rid of it once it is in a release build) and the package is an extension package. 

I have added debug statements to the class but no sign of their output anywhere.

The implementation of onInstall is very simple, just calls a method that adds records to a custom object.  The method it calls has been in the package for a long time and works fine if called from a VF page manually.

I did make sure the class has the API version set to 25 and the test class works just fine.

Do not know if it gets called in an upgrade situation since you cannot upgrade a beta version of a managed package.

Any ideas, guesses, or things to try would be appreciated.

• September 11, 2012

I am getting a null pointer exception when attempting to reference the Who.Type value on a Task when I set the SeeAllData annotation on my test class to “false”.  The field is included in the column list of a Task query and while the WhoId has a value, the Who.Type field is null.  Change it to “true” and the Who.Type field returned in the query has a value.  Here are two log segments showing the result:

@isTest(SeeAllData=false)

SOQL_EXECUTE_BEGIN|[62]|Aggregations:0|select Id, WhoId, Who.Type, WhatId, What.Type from Task where Id IN :tmpVar1

SOQL_EXECUTE_END|[62]|Rows:1

USER_DEBUG|[79]|DEBUG|======>WhoId: 00Q8000000tGECZEA4

USER_DEBUG|[80]|DEBUG|======>Who.Type: null

@isTest(SeeAllData=true)

SOQL_EXECUTE_BEGIN|[62]|Aggregations:0|select Id, WhoId, Who.Type, WhatId, What.Type from Task where Id IN :tmpVar1

USER_DEBUG|[79]|DEBUG|======>WhoId: 00Q8000000tGE2uEAG

USER_DEBUG|[80]|DEBUG|======>Who.Type: Lead

I can’t see any reason that the polymorphic ID’s type would not be returned simply because the test class is configured not to see existing data other than this being a bug.  Am I missing something?  Anyone else seen anything like this?

• May 21, 2012

When I use BR() in a Formula field to create a line break the value looks fine ion screen but when used in a report that is exported to excel the line break gets translated to "_BR_ENCODED_". 

The same thing does not happen when the report goes to Excel via the Printable View button but that can't substitute for the Export option.

One other post seemed to indicate this this was addressed way back in Winter 07' but that does not seem true now. 

The Export to CSV via reporting also replaces the line break with the "_BR_ENCODED_" test string.

Anyone know if this is a bug or SF really intended for it to work this.  Also, anyone have a work around to this problem?  Would have thought it would be more common given there is no native Address data type and lots of people would be creating formula based formatted address fields.

Thanks

• October 27, 2011

Anyone know why IdeaComment does not have a LastModifiedDate (or LastModifiedBy) field?  The object is editable and it seems almost to obvious to be a bug.  Is there something about modifying an Idea Comment that is different than every other standard object in the system?

• June 10, 2011

Anyone know how, from Apex, to get the currency symbol that is used when formatting currency fields in a single currency org?

If I had to I might be able to build my own mapping based on the Currency Locale setting in the Company Information page but I can't find what field in the Organization record gets updated when this value is set.

UserInfo.getDefaultCurrency() does not work - it retus nothing in a single currency org.

The format function on an sObject currency field (MyOppty.Amount.format()) does not include a currency symbol.

I need the value in Apex so the outputField tag in VF is not helpful (and can't be used in a multi-currency org with ACM enabled).

Last resort is to have a  Custom Setting and have customers enter their currency symbol but that creeates extra work for the customer and they think we are stupid or lazy.

Thanks for any assistance

• January 12, 2011

I am using the AWS Toolkit and when I attempt to access a bucket newly created on the EU Amazon server I am getting the following error:

System.CalloutException: Web service callout failed: WebService returned a SOAP Fault: Please re-send this request to the specifiedtemporary endpoint. Continue to use the original request endpoint for future requests. faultcode=soapenv:Client.TemporaryRedirectfaultactor=

Research on the Amazon AWS site indicates that requests may be redirected when new buckets are created on servers other then the default US server but it has been a couple of hours and still no luck.  Do I simply have to wait longer (any clue how long) of does the code require changes to look for this error and resubmit with the temporary endpoint?  I would prefer not to touch the toolkit code but I don't know if it is actively being kept up to date (don't believe the EU server existed when it was released). 

I tested with the sample app in an environment with the toolkit newly downloaded and got the same issue.

Has anyone else encountered this?  Anyone have a solution?

Thanks in advance,

bob

• September 22, 2010

I have a managed package that had 2 triggers on the same object.  There were fired on completely different operations by the CheckMarx scan kept saying that multiple triggers on the same object is a bad thing so as part of a maintenance release I decided to consolidate the two existing triggers into a single new trigger.  I was able to delete the old triggers from my org and build a new version of the package (beta build at the moment) that only contained a the new single trigger.  Install into a clean environment and the one and only trigger is installed and everything works great. 

So far, so good.  However, when I install the new version into an org with the old version it does not remove the old triggers.  Now I have 3 triggers instead of 2 and if all are firing then I am doing everything twice.  All 3 are listed as Active but I can't tell if all 3 are firing.

Anyone have a clue as to why if I was able to remove the triggers from my org/package the upgrade install will not remove the old triggers? 

Thanks,

Bob

• August 24, 2010

Anyone know anything about a namespace limit of 10?  Can't find anything in the documentation and SFDC support promised to get back to me and never did. 

• August 17, 2010

I attempt to Modify the license on a recent install of our managed package and get the following error message:

The proxy user isn't available. Chances are they've deactivated

I saw another post that said it was because the org was inactive but the user is using the org right now and the install occurred 5 minutes ago so the org must be active.  I believe it is a single user Enterprise org if that makes a difference.

Thanks

• August 11, 2010

We have a managed package that could have added value if we added some chartter functionality to it but there is no way we are going to do this if the it then required Chatter be enabled before our package can be installed.  I have seem some speculation on the boards re use of dynamic DML to create posts and still not require chatter be enabled.  Obviouly app can't create posts unles the feature is enabled but I see how to dynamically determine that but I was hoping for a definitive Can / Can Not be done from someone at Salesforce or someone who has actually done it.

Thanks in advance.

• August 02, 2010

Looking for a way within Apex to determine if a user is licensed for a certain managed package (namespace).  I know how to do it for the current user but I need to know how to check given any user record. 

Thanks

• August 02, 2010

We would like to match the discounting SFDC offers to non-profits and NGOs (10 free then 50% off) but need some way to determine if the org is one that SFDC has "granted" the special non-profit arrangement.  Does anyone know how we can determine this?

Also, is there anything special about these orgs or is it just a pricing arrangement?

Thanks

• May 06, 2010

If I have a managed package that contains a schedulable class and  has been security reviewed and approved for use in PE's, will a PE site be able to manually schedule that class?

PEs don't get access to the page with the list of classes (Setup | Develop | Apex Classes) and thus the Schedule Apex button on that page that UE, EE, and DEs use to manually schedule a class.  Is there someplace else in a PE one goes to do the scheduling or do we have to provide a UI for specifying a schedule and then create the schedule pragmatically?

I am not even 100% schedulable Apex is supported in a PE.  I have confirmed that Batch Apex works in a PE but only have a Tech Talk FAQ that says Scheduled Apex will be supported in PEs.

• April 08, 2010

Anyone know how I could get the contents of a static resource, a text file, from within a trigger.  You can't create a PageReference and then use the getContent().toString() method - that's not allowed from within a trigger.

Thanks in advance for any assistance

• March 29, 2010
Anyone know how you can create a Task or Event in the archived state (IsArchived = true) in a test method?  The field is READ-ONLY so it can't be set when you create your test records and you should always be creating the test records you reference in your tests so is there a special trick to getting Task and Event records into this state from withing test methods?
  • February 19, 2010

A have section of an Opportunity Layout that is a VisualForce page (vfPage1).  It displays fine in normal SFDC but when the Opportunity Layout is displayed on a VF page (vfPage2) via the <apex:detail> mechanism, the section that should be rendered by vfPage1 is not displayed.

The browser throws the following error:

Error: 'document.forms.echoScontrolForm_066A0000000Gn3f' is null or not an object

The id of vfPage1 is 066A0000000Gn3f and the Sites guest user has access to the VF Page, its controller extension, and the data is displays.

Any help or guidance would be very much appreciated.

• August 14, 2009
I am fairly new to Html/VisualForce so maybe this is an obvious question but how does one change the image associated with an apex:image element on a VisualForce page when the user places the mouse over it?
  • March 14, 2009

Anyone know anything about a namespace limit of 10?  Can't find anything in the documentation and SFDC support promised to get back to me and never did. 

• August 17, 2010

Hi All ,

I have a managed package installed in sandbox. I have also developed some custom code there. Now when I am trying to uninstall the package, I am not able to do so. It says "This extension depends on the package you are trying to uninstall."

I have checked that I am not using any reference of that managed package in my code. However, in eclipse I realized that meta.xml files of my apex classes are using the name space of that managed package. When I try to remove namespace from my meta.xml files it reverts my changes automatically.

I want to uninstall that managed package urgently.

Any help would be apreciated !!

• May 16, 2013

I have a custom object I am adding to my managed package that I would like installed with the Organization-Wide Default Sharring Setting set to "Private" when the package is installed.  I have the sharing set to Private in the build org and there is APEX code that references the object's __Share object but when I install the object's initial Sharing Setting is Public Read/Write.

NOTE: I am only testing so far with a Beta build of the version that includes this new object.  Do not want to commit to a full release build for fear I will not be able to make the necessary change.

I know that the installer can go and change the Sharing Setting but that is a deployment step I would like to avoid if possible.

• April 05, 2013

I notice in Spring 13 Release "Apex Test Result " page has been changed in my sandbox.

I rely heavily on coverage % link to find the code lines that are not covered in my Test class. Where can I find that page in Sprint 13

Steps to see the line of code coverage

Setup-> Develop -> Apex Classes

Select a test class run test

I see "Apex Test Result" page in section Code coverage I see Coverage %

Where can I find this in Spring 13?

I have added a class that implements the InstallHandler interface with an onInstall method but the method is never called when my managed package is installed.  The the testing has been limited to beta builds (don't what it in a release build if it does not work yet and because its global I can't get rid of it once it is in a release build) and the package is an extension package. 

I have added debug statements to the class but no sign of their output anywhere.

The implementation of onInstall is very simple, just calls a method that adds records to a custom object.  The method it calls has been in the package for a long time and works fine if called from a VF page manually.

I did make sure the class has the API version set to 25 and the test class works just fine.

Do not know if it gets called in an upgrade situation since you cannot upgrade a beta version of a managed package.

Any ideas, guesses, or things to try would be appreciated.

• September 11, 2012

I am getting a null pointer exception when attempting to reference the Who.Type value on a Task when I set the SeeAllData annotation on my test class to “false”.  The field is included in the column list of a Task query and while the WhoId has a value, the Who.Type field is null.  Change it to “true” and the Who.Type field returned in the query has a value.  Here are two log segments showing the result:

@isTest(SeeAllData=false)

USER_DEBUG|[79]|DEBUG|======>WhoId: 00Q8000000tGECZEA4

USER_DEBUG|[80]|DEBUG|======>Who.Type: null

@isTest(SeeAllData=true)

USER_DEBUG|[79]|DEBUG|======>WhoId: 00Q8000000tGE2uEAG

USER_DEBUG|[80]|DEBUG|======>Who.Type: Lead

I can’t see any reason that the polymorphic ID’s type would not be returned simply because the test class is configured not to see existing data other than this being a bug.  Am I missing something?  Anyone else seen anything like this?

• May 21, 2012

When I use BR() in a Formula field to create a line break the value looks fine ion screen but when used in a report that is exported to excel the line break gets translated to "_BR_ENCODED_". 

The same thing does not happen when the report goes to Excel via the Printable View button but that can't substitute for the Export option.

One other post seemed to indicate this this was addressed way back in Winter 07' but that does not seem true now. 

The Export to CSV via reporting also replaces the line break with the "_BR_ENCODED_" test string.

Anyone know if this is a bug or SF really intended for it to work this.  Also, anyone have a work around to this problem?  Would have thought it would be more common given there is no native Address data type and lots of people would be creating formula based formatted address fields.

Thanks

• October 27, 2011

Anyone know how, from Apex, to get the currency symbol that is used when formatting currency fields in a single currency org?

If I had to I might be able to build my own mapping based on the Currency Locale setting in the Company Information page but I can't find what field in the Organization record gets updated when this value is set.

UserInfo.getDefaultCurrency() does not work - it retus nothing in a single currency org.

The format function on an sObject currency field (MyOppty.Amount.format()) does not include a currency symbol.

I need the value in Apex so the outputField tag in VF is not helpful (and can't be used in a multi-currency org with ACM enabled).

Last resort is to have a  Custom Setting and have customers enter their currency symbol but that creeates extra work for the customer and they think we are stupid or lazy.

Thanks for any assistance

• January 12, 2011

We're trying to use Visualforce/Apex to drive a dynamic image from images stored ina  static resource.  The following doesn't work

<apex:page controller="RescueChannelImageCon" contentType="image/png">
	{!URLFOR($Resource.Rescue_Resources, "images/chatavailable.png")}	
</apex:page>

<apex:page controller="RescueChannelImageCon" contentType="image/png">
	<apex:image url="{!URLFOR($Resource.Rescue_Resources, "images/chatavailable.png")}" alt="{!$Label.ChatNow}" />
	<apex:image url="{!URLFOR($Resource.Rescue_Resources, "images/chatunavailable.png")}" alt="{!$Label.ChatUnavailable}" rendered="{!NOT(status)}" />
</apex:page>

The idea is to allow another website to embed/hotlink this dynamically rendered image (Apex and VF decide what image to use, other site grabs it via same URL) without using clunky iframes.  

Working on a formula to ultimately get the week number of the quarter, and figured I would need to start with the week of the year.  I have found a few samples here on the boards, but I am not completely clear on how they work, and I am still having issues with the last week of the year.

Here is my Week Number Formula:

MOD(FLOOR( ( Test_Date__c -DATEVALUE("2006-01-01" ))/7),52)

Here is my Week in the Quarter Formula:

WeekNumber__c - CASE(Current_Quarter__c , 1, 0, 2, 13, 3, 26, 4, 39, 0)

Here is the Current Quarter Formula I am referencing in my Week of the Quarter Formula:

CEILING(MOD(FLOOR( ( Test_Date__c -DATEVALUE("2006-01-01" ))/7),52)/13)

Eventually I am going to have to compile all of these functions into one big formula, but for now I have them broken out.  Looking forward to this discussion!

-Brandy

I have a managed package that had 2 triggers on the same object.  There were fired on completely different operations by the CheckMarx scan kept saying that multiple triggers on the same object is a bad thing so as part of a maintenance release I decided to consolidate the two existing triggers into a single new trigger.  I was able to delete the old triggers from my org and build a new version of the package (beta build at the moment) that only contained a the new single trigger.  Install into a clean environment and the one and only trigger is installed and everything works great. 

So far, so good.  However, when I install the new version into an org with the old version it does not remove the old triggers.  Now I have 3 triggers instead of 2 and if all are firing then I am doing everything twice.  All 3 are listed as Active but I can't tell if all 3 are firing.

Anyone have a clue as to why if I was able to remove the triggers from my org/package the upgrade install will not remove the old triggers? 

Thanks,

Bob

• August 24, 2010

• August 17, 2010

I attempt to Modify the license on a recent install of our managed package and get the following error message:

The proxy user isn't available. Chances are they've deactivated

I saw another post that said it was because the org was inactive but the user is using the org right now and the install occurred 5 minutes ago so the org must be active.  I believe it is a single user Enterprise org if that makes a difference.

Thanks

• August 11, 2010

Looking for a way within Apex to determine if a user is licensed for a certain managed package (namespace).  I know how to do it for the current user but I need to know how to check given any user record. 

Thanks

• August 02, 2010

Hello, I am developing an application in which I would like to integrate Chatter as an enhancement-- i.e., Chatter would enhance this application's experience, but it isn't required for the main features of this application. Ideally, when an organization does not have Chatter enabled, I would like this application to degrade gracefully and simply not display any of its Chatter features.

I've integrated Chatter into this application using Apex components and classes (from Chatter Combo Pack as a starting point), and it works great when Chatter is enabled. If I disable Chatter in my developer organization, then I receive SalesForce errors which make the application completely unusable. For instance: Dependent class is invalid and needs recompilation: chatterFeed: line 275, column 19: sObject type 'UserFeed' is not supported. Sometimes I get SalesForce.com internal errors instead.

If Chatter is disabled, then I also have issues editing and saving classes which have Chatter-related features with errors such as: Save error: Dependent class is invalid and needs recompilation: chatterfeeditem: line 3, column 13: Invalid type: FeedPost

So my question is, what is the best way to detect if Chatter is enabled for an organization and if it's enabled for an object in that organization? Do I need to describe sObject for every type of Chatter-related object which is used (EntitySubscription, UserFeed, FeedPost, etc.)? Or is there some preferred way to do what I'm describing?

• June 25, 2010

Hi community,

I am working on a VisualForce element which is included in the page layout of my custom object "invoice".

The VF page gets two different lists of opportunities from the account where both, invoice and opptis are  connected to. From those lists you can select opptis and process them.

The basic function works just fine so far.

Now, here's my problem: Once the processing is complete I want to fully reload the invoice - the whole page, including the related lists and so on.

I tried setting PageReference for my action method and several javascript actions for onComplete.

The PageReference loads the invoice again in the iframe where my VF element was.

The javascripts don't load the whole page again. If I were able to get the current invoice ID this might work:

<apex:commandButton value="Add Selected" action="{!processSelectedAdd}" onComplete="parent.location.href = '/'"/>

... by adding the ID to the parent.location.href value.

Here's the part of my controller with the PageReference I tried. You see "return null;" is not active at the moment. I tried that too but it doesn't worked out. To get the javascript redirect working at all the return value for this must be null:

public PageReference processSelectedAdd() { List<Opportunity> selectedOpportunities = new List<Opportunity>(); for (oOpportunity oOpp : getOpportunities()) { if (oOpp.selected == true) { selectedOpportunities.add(oOpp.opp); } } //System.debug('processing the following:'); for (Opportunity opp : selectedOpportunities) { opp.Invoice__c = this.invoice.Id; update opp; } PageReference pageRef = new PageReference('/' + this.invoice.Id); pageRef.setRedirect(false); return pageRef; //return null; }

And here's the whole VF object:

<apex:page standardController="CM_Invoice__c" extensions="OpptiListControllerWrapper" tabStyle="Opportunity"> <apex:form > <apex:pageBlock > <apex:pageBlockButtons > <apex:commandButton value="Add Selected" action="{!processSelectedAdd}" onComplete="parent.location.href = '/'"/> </apex:pageBlockButtons> <!-- --> <apex:pageBlockTable value="{!opportunities}" var="o" id="table"> <apex:column > <!-- --> <apex:inputCheckbox value="{!o.selected}"/> </apex:column> <!-- --> <apex:column value="{!o.opp.Name}" /> </apex:pageBlockTable> </apex:pageBlock> </apex:form> <apex:form > <apex:pageBlock > <apex:pageBlockButtons > <apex:commandButton value="Remove Selected" action="{!processSelectedDel}" /> </apex:pageBlockButtons> <!-- --> <apex:pageBlockTable value="{!opportunities2}" var="o" id="table2"> <apex:column > <!-- --> <apex:inputCheckbox value="{!o.selected}"/> </apex:column> <!-- --> <apex:column value="{!o.opp.Name}" /> </apex:pageBlockTable> </apex:pageBlock> </apex:form> </apex:page>

Really thankful for any hints!

Best,

Hannes

• September 16, 2009
I have created a few custom components for the home page and was wondering if there is an easy way to hide the name of the component when it is displayed?  It appears that SFDC takes the name of the custom component and puts it in a h2 tag. 

I'm thinking I can write some JavaScript to locate the specific h2 tags I want to hide (clearing out the innerHTML) and embed that in the "Messages and Alerts" component, but I wanted to see if there was a better way to accomplish this.  Any suggestions?