• 30 Points
  • Member since 2009

• Chatter
    Feed
    Best Answers
    Likes Given
    Questions
    Replies

Came across an interesting thing while building out chatter stuff for our org.  The Chatter instances are self contained and do not at this time operate with a Parent Child database like functionality.

This is both a good and bad thing.  Good because all Cases, Contacts, Opportunities..etc would share their "chats" with the parent object which would mean the Account Chatter would be unbearable.

Bad because I can't pick an account to follow all of the rollup chatter happening with the account.

I'm guessing there will probably be a way to figure out how to "Chat" up to the Parent Object what's happening with the children as a setting or a feature.

I could probably also use the "bubble" code to make an "Open/Close" section using visualforce to display the "Chats" for that Account and it's children.

Anybody else played around with this stuff and how they would display the data? 

I have the tabbed accounts functionality enabled for my company and we are using Chatter.  The Visualforce page over-rides Chatter for the account.  Is there a way for me to "Insert" Chatter at the top of the page with some simple code OR insert the visualforce tabbed account view into the Page Layout without getting the weird framing of a Page in a page happening?

I'm sure there's a way to pull it in, just wondering if anybody else dealt with this issue yet.  If I figure it out, I'll post the solution. 

At Dreamforce, they showed Chatter with Groups.  Should I try to build out Groups on my own as a separate object and tie Chatter using the API / Apex or should I wait for Salesforce to rollout grouping and hashtags..etc.

Thoughts? 

Professional Edition 32 Users

I created the standard "Tabbed Accounts" Visualforce page.  It works for everybody except One user gets this error:

'cases' is not a valid child relationship name for entity Account

I had the user log in on my computer, and they still got the error.  

We are Professional Edition customer, we only have "Standard User" and "System Admin" users.  We don't have any additional ability to set profiles and all of our access is standard across the board.  Sys Admins and Standard users can all view the tabbed account view except for the one user.

Am I missing something?  I've attached the code here:

<apex:page standardController="Account" showHeader="true" tabStyle="account" ><style> .activeTab {background-color: #236FBD; color:white; background-image:none} .inactiveTab {background-color: lightgrey; color:black; background-image:none}</style> <apex:tabPanel switchType="client" selectedTab="tabdetails" id="AccountTabPanel" tabClass="activeTab" inactiveTabClass="inactiveTab"> <apex:tab label="Account Info" name="AccInfo" id="tabAccInfo"> <apex:detail relatedList="true" title="true"/> </apex:tab> <apex:tab label="Contacts" name="Contacts" id="tabContacts"> <apex:relatedList subject="{!account}" list="Contacts" /> <apex:relatedList subject="{!account}" list="AccountContactRoles" /> </apex:tab> <apex:tab label="Opportunities" name="Opportunities" id="tabOpp"> <apex:relatedList subject="{!account}" list="Opportunities" /> </apex:tab> <apex:tab label="Activities" name="Activities" id="tabAct"> <apex:relatedList subject="{!account}" list="OpenActivities" /> <apex:relatedList subject="{!account}" list="ActivityHistories" /> </apex:tab> <apex:tab label="Cases" name="Cases" id="tabCases"> <apex:relatedList subject="{!account}" list="Cases"/> </apex:tab> <apex:tab label="Docs/Notes" name="Documents" id="tabDocs"> <apex:relatedList subject="{!account}" list="NotesAndAttachments" /> </apex:tab> <apex:tab label="Contracts" name="Contracts" id="tabContract"> <apex:relatedList subject="{!account}" list="contracts" /> </apex:tab> </apex:tabPanel></apex:page>

I'm trying to tab out our account layout.  I'm unable to create a tab for some related lists that are standard objects (Partners, Content Deliveries, Activity History, etc)  The custom objects were no problem, but for these and a few other standard objects I receive the "not a valid child relationship error"

here is the code I'm using - taken from the infamous tabbed accounts in 30 seconds wiki

<apex:tabPanel switchType="client" selectedTab=" tabdetails" id="AccountTabPanel" tabClass="activeTab" inactiveTabClass="inactiveTab">   
      <apex:tab label="Contacts" name="Contacts" id="tabContact">
         <apex:relatedList subject="{!account}" list="contacts" />
      </apex:tab>
      <apex:tab label="Opportunities" name="Opportunities" id="tabOpp">
         <apex:relatedList subject="{!account}" list="opportunities" />
      <apex:tab label="Open Activities" name="OpenActivities" id="tabOpenAct">
         <apex:relatedList subject="{!account}" list="OpenActivities" />
      <apex:tab label="Notes and Attachments" name="NotesAndAttachments" id="tabNoteAtt">
         <apex:relatedList subject="{!account}" list="NotesAndAttachments" />
       <apex:tab label="Activity History" name="Activity History" id="tabActivityHistory">
         <apex:relatedList subject="{!account}" list="ActivityHistory" />

I've searched through the boards here and was unable to locate an answer for standard objects only custom.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

I see a potential problem with users using Chatter instead inserting notes or activities.  The great thing about notes is a future record owner can look back at notes for an indefinite period of time.  With activities sales managers can report and track what their sales teams have been doing.  Do we lose these things if users are chatting about notes, calls, and meetings instead of "recording" them.

How do you plan on dealing with this situation in your org?

What reporting capabilities will Chatter have?

Can a trigger be created to automatically create a completed activity or a new note based off a post with certain phrases or keywords like "left a voicemail" or "sent an email"?

Professional Edition 32 Users

I created the standard "Tabbed Accounts" Visualforce page.  It works for everybody except One user gets this error:

'cases' is not a valid child relationship name for entity Account

I had the user log in on my computer, and they still got the error.  

We are Professional Edition customer, we only have "Standard User" and "System Admin" users.  We don't have any additional ability to set profiles and all of our access is standard across the board.  Sys Admins and Standard users can all view the tabbed account view except for the one user.

Am I missing something?  I've attached the code here:

<apex:page standardController="Account" showHeader="true" tabStyle="account" ><style> .activeTab {background-color: #236FBD; color:white; background-image:none} .inactiveTab {background-color: lightgrey; color:black; background-image:none}</style> <apex:tabPanel switchType="client" selectedTab="tabdetails" id="AccountTabPanel" tabClass="activeTab" inactiveTabClass="inactiveTab"> <apex:tab label="Account Info" name="AccInfo" id="tabAccInfo"> <apex:detail relatedList="true" title="true"/> </apex:tab> <apex:tab label="Contacts" name="Contacts" id="tabContacts"> <apex:relatedList subject="{!account}" list="Contacts" /> <apex:relatedList subject="{!account}" list="AccountContactRoles" /> </apex:tab> <apex:tab label="Opportunities" name="Opportunities" id="tabOpp"> <apex:relatedList subject="{!account}" list="Opportunities" /> </apex:tab> <apex:tab label="Activities" name="Activities" id="tabAct"> <apex:relatedList subject="{!account}" list="OpenActivities" /> <apex:relatedList subject="{!account}" list="ActivityHistories" /> </apex:tab> <apex:tab label="Cases" name="Cases" id="tabCases"> <apex:relatedList subject="{!account}" list="Cases"/> </apex:tab> <apex:tab label="Docs/Notes" name="Documents" id="tabDocs"> <apex:relatedList subject="{!account}" list="NotesAndAttachments" /> </apex:tab> <apex:tab label="Contracts" name="Contracts" id="tabContract"> <apex:relatedList subject="{!account}" list="contracts" /> </apex:tab> </apex:tabPanel></apex:page>