• 0 Points
  • Member since 2010

• Chatter
    Feed
    Best Answers
    Likes Given
    Questions
    Replies

I'm starting a new project for a client and I am inheriting a custom application that needs some TLC.  My client recently acquired this application through an a acquisition of a company.  I believe the app was developed several years ago and all of the UI was done with S-Controls.  We know very little about this application, and the plan is to break it down, document it, make necessary customizations, then roll it out into production.

We have several months before we need to roll this out in beta.  Would it be worth the extra effort to re-do all of the UI in visualforce pages?  I know that existing S-Controls are safe and won't be deleted, but I wonder if it makes sense to re-build everything into visualforce pages to take advantage of the performance boost, plus maintainability.

Keep in mind that re-building the UI will cost our client significantly more in development hours.

Any advice is appreciated.

I am working on transferring a large application from one org to another.  All we need is the metadata (no data).  I am looking at my options for the metadata transfer and am trying to figure out which one would be the easiest and considered best practices. In a nutshell, we just need the application, in its entirety, moved to a new org.  This application will then be deleted from the source org.  The target org is a fresh org with no data yet.

Here are the options that I think I have:

Unmanaged package - This seems the easiest but not sure if this would be best practices or not.

Force.com IDE - One way would be to add/sync all of the metadata components to a project in the IDE, then transfer them to the second org in a new project.  In theory, this should work but I get a lot of Java memory errors in Eclipse when trying to sync the components.  There are a lot of components

Deployment Connections - Perhaps this is the best method?

Migration tool - This seems the most complicated and I am wondering if one of the three methods above will suffice.

Any suggestions?

I am working on transferring a large application from one org to another.  All we need is the metadata (no data).  I am looking at my options for the metadata transfer and am trying to figure out which one would be the easiest and considered best practices. In a nutshell, we just need the application, in its entirety, moved to a new org.  This application will then be deleted from the source org.  The target org is a fresh org with no data yet.

Here are the options that I think I have:

Unmanaged package - This seems the easiest but not sure if this would be best practices or not.

Force.com IDE - One way would be to add/sync all of the metadata components to a project in the IDE, then transfer them to the second org in a new project.  In theory, this should work but I get a lot of Java memory errors in Eclipse when trying to sync the components.  There are a lot of components

Deployment Connections - Perhaps this is the best method?

Migration tool - This seems the most complicated and I am wondering if one of the three methods above will suffice.

Any suggestions?