• Chatter
    Feed
    Best Answers
    Likes Given
    Questions
    Replies

Hi guys.

Bit of a conundrum here...

I've got a VF page that has an inputText field that users use to scan in barcodes using a handheld barcode scanner.

The barcode scanner merely act like a keyboard: it translates the scan to keys, then types those keys and hits enter.

What I'd like to do, is have users scan a barcode, then conduct an apex query. If the results are good, it updates a record, if the results are bad - it throws a pageMessage.

I got some JS that checks when the enter key is hit, and then I envoke the apex. However, there seems to be an issue with the sequence of reRendering and apex, and JS.

When I do the scan into the input field - the page does a refresh - but the apex:PageMessage that should display does not...

Here's what I have so far:

<apex:page standardController="terminalPrepOrder__c" extensions="terminalPrepOrderController" >
<apex:variable var="prp" value="{!terminalPrepOrder__c}"/>

function checkEnter(e){ <!-- e is event object passed from function invocation -->
var characterCode <!--literal character code will be stored in this variable -->

if(e && e.which){ <!--if which property of event object is supported (NN4) -->
e = e
characterCode = e.which <!-- character code is contained in NN4's which property -->
}
else{
e = event
characterCode = e.keyCode <!-- character code is contained in IE's keyCode property -->
}

if(characterCode == 13){ <!-- if generated character code is equal to ascii 13 (if enter key) -->
alert("clicked enter");
otherFindTerminal(); <!-- submit the form -->
return false;
}
else{
return true
}
}
</script>

<apex:pageMessages id="msgs"/>
<apex:form id="theForm"> <apex:actionFunction name="findTerminal" action="{!otherFindTerminal}" reRender="msgs"/> <apex:outputText value="Scan Terminal Barcode "/> <apex:inputText value="{!searchBarcode}" onkeypress="checkEnter(event)"/> <apex:commandButton value="Find" action="{!otherFindTerminal}" id="hitMe" reRender="msgs"/> </apex:form>

Controller:

public PageReference otherFindTerminal() {  
        try {
            if (searchBarcode != '') {
              terminal__c enteredTrm = [select Id from Terminal__c T where T.barcodeNumber__c = :searchBarcode limit 1];        

terminalPrepOrder__c trmPrp = (terminalPrepOrder__c) controller.getRecord();

trmPrp.Terminal__c = enteredTrm.Id;
             update trmPrp;
            }
            else if (searchBarcode == '' ) {
                ApexPages.Message invalidSearch = new ApexPages.Message(ApexPages.Severity.ERROR, 'Invalid barcode.');
                ApexPages.addMessage(invalidSearch);
            }
        }
        catch (exception e) {

ApexPages.Message noTrm = new ApexPages.Message(ApexPages.Severity.ERROR, searchBarcode + ' not found. Please enter the Terminal barcode.');
            ApexPages.addMessage(noTrm);
        }
        return null;
    }

So when I click the commandButton - it functions perfectly - It does the query, and rerenders the messages...

When I use the input field and hit enter... it refreshes the page but does nothing...

Please help!

Thanks

• May 10, 2010