• Chatter
    Feed
    Best Answers
    Likes Given
    Questions
    Replies
Hello developers,

Problem:
I get this error from one VisualForce page in my managed packaged when it runs from client orgs:

"Variable is not visible: [PackagePrefix.ControllerName].uploadedAttachments"

The managed package works great in development. 
Test classes achieve 100% code coverage of this controller.

Extra information:
The relevant controller uses VisualForce pages to allow the public to provide file attachments. They provide some reference details too. The controller uses the reference information to find relevant custom object records, and attach the file uploads to them as standard Salesforce.com attachments.

The error presents itself as an "Authorization Required" error to the user. By previewing the VisualForce page as the administrator, with Development Mode on, the real error message can be seen.

I'm puzzled that this gets through thorough testing in development, but fails in client installations.

The attribute is defined like this at the top of the class:
public Map<Integer,Attachment> uploadedAttachments {get;set;}

Later on it gets initiated like this in one method:
uploadedAttachments = new Map<Integer, Attachment>();
And then various get and put operations are applied.

Questions:
  • What could be the cause?
  • How can I investigate it?

Thank you.
We're used to AppExchange producing new leads for us when someone takes our apps for a Test Drive or views the Demo. Those leads have lead sources like with "SFDC-TD|<AppName>" and "SFDC-DM|<AppName>". 

We've seen some leads generated by AppExchange start have a lead source of "SFDC-IN|<AppName>". What do they represent?

Thanks!

Hello Board,

We're preparing to set up our 2nd app on TrialForce. It is a completely different app from the first one: it is for a different market and it has different functionality. 

Is it sensible to set up the new TrialForce template org under our existing TrialForce mangement org? Or under a separate management org? What are the pros and cons of using one TrialForce management org for all our TrialForce work and all our apps, compared to using one TrialForce management org per app?  I guess it might be like this:

One TrialForce management org for all apps:

• All branding management in one place 
  • No risk of inconsistent branding between apps
  • All apps have same login pages and email sets

One TrialForce management per app:

• Total independence over branding choices for each app
  • Have to manage everything in two places
  • Risk of things getting out of sync

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Greg. 

Hello,

Background

Our app includes custom objects with field labels and data validation messages that mention specific legislation, like "Section 9 Approval" or "Section 12 Rationale". This suits our core market well, and is a valuable selling point. Our app is offered as a managed package, and we use TrialForce with it too.

Problem

We want to offer the app to other markets; markets that don't use the same legislation. We want to replace the specific terms in the labels and messages with generic terms, like "Budget Approval" and "Decision Rationale".

Question

What's a good strategy doing that?

• We could develop a completely independent app, but that would involve a lot of duplication when we make enhancements and changes, and lots of administration overhead.

• Can we do something smart with UI languages and translation?  It would be nice to have a "ABC Legislation" language version and a "Generic" version of our app, a bit like a "English" and "French" version (but we only want those specific terms to change, not the whole interface).

• Is there a way to have parameter-driven dynamic labels? Maybe dependent upon some value in Company Information?

I'd appreciate your ideas!

Regards,

Greg. 

Hello Boards,

I created a new 30-day trial org using Trialforce. Even though I used all the Trialforce Management org features to brand my org as much as I could, the Salesforce.com branding was still visible in some items:

• Setup menu - "Force.com" item
  • "Salesforce.com" in the header of the Visual Flow editor tool and the Schema Builder
  • Copyright notice, in the foot of scheduled reports sent by email
  • "Developerforce" "AppExchange" promotions were visible at the right side of some pages within the setup menus.

Is there any way to remove the remaining Salesforce.com branding?

Thank you,

Greg.

There is no Flow functionality  in my orgs.  

• When I navigate to Setup > App SEtup > Create > Workflow and Approvals, there is no item for Flows. Other things are there (Workflow Rules, Approval Processes, Tasks, Email Alerts, Field Updates, Outbound messages, Post Templates, Settings) but not Flows.
  • When I try to install my managed package app (which includes some Flows) I get an installation failure message like this:  "Missing feature | Flow Versions | Installing this package requires the following feature and its associated permissions: Flow Versions" 

My two affected orgs are both Enterprise Edition orgs (it says so in the browser title bar).  They were both created as Trialforce source orgs from my Trialforce Management Org.

What have I overlooked? How can I enable Flows in my orgs? 

I log in with a System Administrator profile.  Virtually all the permissions are enabled.

I'd appreciate any help!

Thank you,

Greg. 

Hello,

I'm having trouble getting time-based workflows and email alerts to operate the way I want.

Desired:

• I want a time-based workflow on a custom child object that creates an email alert. 
  • It should send out a reminder email 30 days before the Due Date value on a custom child object, but only if the Status field on a custom parent object is "Approved". 
  • When the child record is created or edited, the Status field on the custom parent record is always "Draft", not "Approved". 
  • The Status field on the custom parent object is controlled by the usual approval processes in the platform, and that happens after edits to the child object have been completed.

Problem:

• When the child record is created , the time-based workflow rules are not satisfied (the parent has Status "Draft") and the workflow fails.
  • When the parent Status is changed to "Approved" it doesn't trigger the time-based workflow rules on the child object.
  • The reminder email is never sent.
  • If I remove the criterion about Status, the workflow fires, but we risk sending inappropriate emails to external parties.

Not problems:

• I can refer to the Status field of the parent in the workflow rule using a cross-object formula on the child object.
  • Time-based workflows in general work fine in my org.
  • The workflows are activated.

Help:

What can you suggest? Someone must have faced this situation before me, and found a good solution.

Thanks in advance!

Greg.

Hello developers,

Problem:
I get this error from one VisualForce page in my managed packaged when it runs from client orgs:

"Variable is not visible: [PackagePrefix.ControllerName].uploadedAttachments"

The managed package works great in development. 
Test classes achieve 100% code coverage of this controller.

Extra information:
The relevant controller uses VisualForce pages to allow the public to provide file attachments. They provide some reference details too. The controller uses the reference information to find relevant custom object records, and attach the file uploads to them as standard Salesforce.com attachments.

The error presents itself as an "Authorization Required" error to the user. By previewing the VisualForce page as the administrator, with Development Mode on, the real error message can be seen.

I'm puzzled that this gets through thorough testing in development, but fails in client installations.

The attribute is defined like this at the top of the class:
public Map<Integer,Attachment> uploadedAttachments {get;set;}

Later on it gets initiated like this in one method:
uploadedAttachments = new Map<Integer, Attachment>();
And then various get and put operations are applied.

Questions:
  • What could be the cause?
  • How can I investigate it?

Thank you.
I have a managed package in which a boolean variable is defined as global. When I try to access the variable (via another org. in which the package is installed in) via a VF page, I recieve the following error: Variable is not visible:. I have another boolean variable in the same controller class that is also global and is accessible in a VF page. Therefore I don't understand why the new variable wouldn't be accessible. I've verified that I have the most recent version of the package installed (with parameter set to Global (not in previous package versions)). It appears to me that this is a SF bug because the other variable (defined in the same way) is accessible. 
We're used to AppExchange producing new leads for us when someone takes our apps for a Test Drive or views the Demo. Those leads have lead sources like with "SFDC-TD|<AppName>" and "SFDC-DM|<AppName>". 

We've seen some leads generated by AppExchange start have a lead source of "SFDC-IN|<AppName>". What do they represent?

Thanks!

Hello,

Background

Our app includes custom objects with field labels and data validation messages that mention specific legislation, like "Section 9 Approval" or "Section 12 Rationale". This suits our core market well, and is a valuable selling point. Our app is offered as a managed package, and we use TrialForce with it too.

Problem

We want to offer the app to other markets; markets that don't use the same legislation. We want to replace the specific terms in the labels and messages with generic terms, like "Budget Approval" and "Decision Rationale".

Question

What's a good strategy doing that?

• We could develop a completely independent app, but that would involve a lot of duplication when we make enhancements and changes, and lots of administration overhead.

• Can we do something smart with UI languages and translation?  It would be nice to have a "ABC Legislation" language version and a "Generic" version of our app, a bit like a "English" and "French" version (but we only want those specific terms to change, not the whole interface).

• Is there a way to have parameter-driven dynamic labels? Maybe dependent upon some value in Company Information?

I'd appreciate your ideas!

Regards,

Greg. 

Hello Boards,

I created a new 30-day trial org using Trialforce. Even though I used all the Trialforce Management org features to brand my org as much as I could, the Salesforce.com branding was still visible in some items:

• Setup menu - "Force.com" item
  • "Salesforce.com" in the header of the Visual Flow editor tool and the Schema Builder
  • Copyright notice, in the foot of scheduled reports sent by email
  • "Developerforce" "AppExchange" promotions were visible at the right side of some pages within the setup menus.

Is there any way to remove the remaining Salesforce.com branding?

Thank you,

Greg.

There is no Flow functionality  in my orgs.  

• When I navigate to Setup > App SEtup > Create > Workflow and Approvals, there is no item for Flows. Other things are there (Workflow Rules, Approval Processes, Tasks, Email Alerts, Field Updates, Outbound messages, Post Templates, Settings) but not Flows.
  • When I try to install my managed package app (which includes some Flows) I get an installation failure message like this:  "Missing feature | Flow Versions | Installing this package requires the following feature and its associated permissions: Flow Versions" 

My two affected orgs are both Enterprise Edition orgs (it says so in the browser title bar).  They were both created as Trialforce source orgs from my Trialforce Management Org.

What have I overlooked? How can I enable Flows in my orgs? 

I log in with a System Administrator profile.  Virtually all the permissions are enabled.

I'd appreciate any help!

Thank you,

Greg. 

Hello,

I'm having trouble getting time-based workflows and email alerts to operate the way I want.

Desired:

• I want a time-based workflow on a custom child object that creates an email alert. 
  • It should send out a reminder email 30 days before the Due Date value on a custom child object, but only if the Status field on a custom parent object is "Approved". 
  • When the child record is created or edited, the Status field on the custom parent record is always "Draft", not "Approved". 
  • The Status field on the custom parent object is controlled by the usual approval processes in the platform, and that happens after edits to the child object have been completed.

Problem:

• When the child record is created , the time-based workflow rules are not satisfied (the parent has Status "Draft") and the workflow fails.
  • When the parent Status is changed to "Approved" it doesn't trigger the time-based workflow rules on the child object.
  • The reminder email is never sent.
  • If I remove the criterion about Status, the workflow fires, but we risk sending inappropriate emails to external parties.

Not problems:

• I can refer to the Status field of the parent in the workflow rule using a cross-object formula on the child object.
  • Time-based workflows in general work fine in my org.
  • The workflows are activated.

Help:

What can you suggest? Someone must have faced this situation before me, and found a good solution.

Thanks in advance!

Greg.