Connected apps OAuth scopes have many options,:

api 
chatter_api 
full 
id 
refresh_token 
visualforce 
web 

What will provide read-only access to salesforce?
I am trying to integrate my external SaaS website with Salesforce and want to make the integration as easy as possible for my customers who use both. Are there easier ways to get my clients' Salesforce's REST API authentication credentials (consumer key, token, secret, username, and password) than having them login, create an app, and email me the information? Can an app installed from AppExchange act as a proxy (i.e. have its own webservice with its own custom authentication) or share that information (could the admin installing the app grant permission to share the REST API credentials)? I would love to tell my clients "just install this AppExchange app" to setup the ability for my external site to access their Salesforce data. How do others do this?
I am looking for someone to advise on the best way to:

* Call an external URL when certain salesforce objects (household,contact,activity) are insert/update/deleted
* Ease the registration for calling into the salesforce API (such as using remote site settings when installing AppExchange packages)

and implement it.
Connected apps OAuth scopes have many options,:

api 
chatter_api 
full 
id 
refresh_token 
visualforce 
web 

What will provide read-only access to salesforce?
I am trying to integrate my external SaaS website with Salesforce and want to make the integration as easy as possible for my customers who use both. Are there easier ways to get my clients' Salesforce's REST API authentication credentials (consumer key, token, secret, username, and password) than having them login, create an app, and email me the information? Can an app installed from AppExchange act as a proxy (i.e. have its own webservice with its own custom authentication) or share that information (could the admin installing the app grant permission to share the REST API credentials)? I would love to tell my clients "just install this AppExchange app" to setup the ability for my external site to access their Salesforce data. How do others do this?