• 0 Points
  • Member since 2015

• Chatter
    Feed
    Best Answers
    Likes Given
    Questions
    Replies
The business has decided to change what used to require a reference to a single text value to now require a list of text values.  We currently hold the value in a single field but will need to create a new table with a master/detail relationship to hold the list of values moving forward.

My question is how do I change the field type and create this table withoug loosing the existing data?  I know I can create the table and a new field before I get rid of the existing field, but I am not sure how to get the data into the new table. 

This would be a trivial INSERT INTO statement in SQL but I am stumped how to do this in SF.  I looked all over for general advice on schema changes and migrating existing data but found nothing.  This CANNOT be a new concept to SF.

Thanks,
Vance
The business has decided to change what used to require a reference to a single text value to now require a list of text values.  We currently hold the value in a single field but will need to create a new table with a master/detail relationship to hold the list of values moving forward.

My question is how do I change the field type and create this table withoug loosing the existing data?  I know I can create the table and a new field before I get rid of the existing field, but I am not sure how to get the data into the new table. 

This would be a trivial INSERT INTO statement in SQL but I am stumped how to do this in SF.  I looked all over for general advice on schema changes and migrating existing data but found nothing.  This CANNOT be a new concept to SF.

Thanks,
Vance
I want to present a summary of a child object on the VF screen of the parent.

On the parent I select the child using a lookup type input field and up on selection I want to show properties of the child on the screen in a summary div.

Any idea on how to do this?