• Member since 2007

• Chatter
    Feed
    Best Answers
    Likes Given
    Questions
    Replies
Hi,

I'm building a portal (webapp) for our internal users to be able to log cases and then add case comments. The portal serves as a front end to SFDC's cases.  There are several reasons we're not using the built-in self service portal.

Our internal users (who will be using this portal) are defined as self service portal contacts in SFDC. I would like to be able to have their ID be the CreatedById when they add a case comment. Currently the only way I can find to add a case comment is through a SFDC User ID that has enough priviledges to do so (a NON-self service portal id such as Administrator).

There are two things I've tried:

1. I've tried binding with an Administrator id and then attempted to use the setCreatedById method on the CaseComment object but it appears that the CreatedBy field is always readonly (which begs the question, why is there an api to set it if it can't be set).  My hope is that even bound as an admin I could force the createdbyid to reflect any user I chose to put in the method.

2. I've also tried to first login as the contact and then add the case comment based on that users binding but that gives me the error that a self service portal user isn't authorized to use the API.

Is there a way that I can

- create cases
-  log case comments
-  attach files

that will reflect the CreatedById of the self service portal user that is doing these actions?

Thanks
Ken
Hi,

I'm building a portal (webapp) for our internal users to be able to log cases and then add case comments. The portal serves as a front end to SFDC's cases.  There are several reasons we're not using the built-in self service portal.

Our internal users (who will be using this portal) are defined as self service portal contacts in SFDC. I would like to be able to have their ID be the CreatedById when they add a case comment. Currently the only way I can find to add a case comment is through a SFDC User ID that has enough priviledges to do so (a NON-self service portal id such as Administrator).

There are two things I've tried:

1. I've tried binding with an Administrator id and then attempted to use the setCreatedById method on the CaseComment object but it appears that the CreatedBy field is always readonly (which begs the question, why is there an api to set it if it can't be set).  My hope is that even bound as an admin I could force the createdbyid to reflect any user I chose to put in the method.

2. I've also tried to first login as the contact and then add the case comment based on that users binding but that gives me the error that a self service portal user isn't authorized to use the API.

Is there a way that I can

- create cases
-  log case comments
-  attach files

that will reflect the CreatedById of the self service portal user that is doing these actions?

Thanks
Ken