• 0 Points
  • Member since 2007

• Chatter
    Feed
    Best Answers
    Likes Given
    Questions
    Replies
Hi. I am just getting started with Salesforce.  The application I would like to write using this platform heavily involves the Event object. However, as I experiment with the Event object I keep running into various problems and I am starting to wonder if this may not be flexible enough for my needs.  For example, I have a custom object - say Object1.  Object1 can have many events - so I would like to create a lookup relationship between Object1 and Events so I can ask salesforce to show me all events for Object1.  I believe either the Account object or the Contact object has something like this already.  However, I do not see an Event object anywhere to create a Lookup Relationship with Object1. How can I do this?  This is somewhat simplified because the actual problem involves a many-to-many relationship. 

A related problem I am having is that the event object does not have all the information I would like to track.  Unlike other objects I cannot seem to find a way to customize it or select it. So I cannot relate it to other objects and I cannot seem to customize it.  However events are central to the application I am building.

As another option, is there a way to inherit the functionality of the Event object (or any other standard object) into my custom object and build on it?

Is the Event object locked?  If so, do you have any suggestions about how to manage this kind of relationship between the standard object event and a custom object?  Thanks very much.  If it matters I am developing using the Ruby on Rails ActiveSalesforce gem. Thanks very much.
  • November 28, 2007
Hi. I am just getting started with Salesforce.  The application I would like to write using this platform heavily involves the Event object. However, as I experiment with the Event object I keep running into various problems and I am starting to wonder if this may not be flexible enough for my needs.  For example, I have a custom object - say Object1.  Object1 can have many events - so I would like to create a lookup relationship between Object1 and Events so I can ask salesforce to show me all events for Object1.  I believe either the Account object or the Contact object has something like this already.  However, I do not see an Event object anywhere to create a Lookup Relationship with Object1. How can I do this?  This is somewhat simplified because the actual problem involves a many-to-many relationship. 

A related problem I am having is that the event object does not have all the information I would like to track.  Unlike other objects I cannot seem to find a way to customize it or select it. So I cannot relate it to other objects and I cannot seem to customize it.  However events are central to the application I am building.

As another option, is there a way to inherit the functionality of the Event object (or any other standard object) into my custom object and build on it?

Is the Event object locked?  If so, do you have any suggestions about how to manage this kind of relationship between the standard object event and a custom object?  Thanks very much.  If it matters I am developing using the Ruby on Rails ActiveSalesforce gem. Thanks very much.
  • November 28, 2007